• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reducing Base Pay for Overtime Hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

qcace

My company in Texas has us on 12 hour rotating shift. Twice each month we work more than 40 hours in a week. When this happens, the employer reduces our base pay by the same amount that we would get if we were paid overtime at the regular rate. When we work the 36 hour weeks, our base rate goes back up to the full amount, when we work the 48 hour weeks, our base rate is reduced. Is this legal? Other companies in our area pay the overtime at the full base rate.

[email protected]

L

LadyBlu

qcace said:
My company in Texas has us on 12 hour rotating shift. Twice each month we work more than 40 hours in a week. When this happens, the employer reduces our base pay by the same amount that we would get if we were paid overtime at the regular rate. When we work the 36 hour weeks, our base rate goes back up to the full amount, when we work the 48 hour weeks, our base rate is reduced. Is this legal? Other companies in our area pay the overtime at the full base rate.

[email protected]
You need to call the TX Workforce Commission and explain to them what is happening, they can direct you to the appropriate state agency to report this(which may very likely be the Federal Wage and Hour Labor Board). I do not believe that a company can change your rate of pay to suit their needs. Base pay is base pay... overtime is overtime.. they cant move your base pay around at will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">