• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I put a amount on priceless?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CDillon

What is the name of your state? PA

My ex husbabnd and I have been divorced for almost a year now. For almost 2 years now he has had paintings done by me in his possesion that I have asked to be returned. I have emailes, and called monthly for the length of 2 years for their return he has failed to return them. I would like to take him to small claims court for these items but do not know what monetary value to put on them since to me they are priceless. I am in NYC and he is in PA where I would have to file, I have offered to pay for the shippment but he refuses. It is nearly impossible for me to go and pick up my paintings since I do not drive and he will not meet me to bring them. What do I do? He also claims that I have in my possesion photos of his family, which I have only one of. How would that affect my case? I have been struggling with this for some time now and need advice, thanks.

seniorjudge

CDillon said:
What is the name of your state? PA

My ex husbabnd and I have been divorced for almost a year now. For almost 2 years now he has had paintings done by me in his possesion that I have asked to be returned. I have emailes, and called monthly for the length of 2 years for their return he has failed to return them. I would like to take him to small claims court for these items but do not know what monetary value to put on them since to me they are priceless. I am in NYC and he is in PA where I would have to file, I have offered to pay for the shippment but he refuses. It is nearly impossible for me to go and pick up my paintings since I do not drive and he will not meet me to bring them. What do I do? He also claims that I have in my possesion photos of his family, which I have only one of. How would that affect my case? I have been struggling with this for some time now and need advice, thanks.
You need to hire a lawyer and file a replevin action against him in Pennsylvania.

Definitions of replevin on the Web:

* An action to recover the possession of personal property taken or withheld from the owner unlawfully.
www.commercialbar.com/lawterms.htm

* An action whereby the owner or person entitled to repossession of goods or chattels may recover those goods or chattels from one who has wrongfully taken or who wrongfully detains such goods or chattels.
www.coj.net/Departments/Sheriffs+Office/Civil+Process+Unit/Glossary+of+Terms.htm

* Seeking recovery of a possession wrongfully taken.
www.ncpress.com/LegalFiles/glossary.html

* A lawsuit in which the plaintiff says the defendent has property belonging to the plaintiff, and the plaintiff wants the property returned. Contrasts with trover (qv).
freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~randyj2222/gendictr.html

* A legal action instituted to recover possession of property that was unlawfully taken or detained.
www.courts.state.mn.us/districts/fourth/General/LegalTerms6.htm

* A type of legal proceeding to recover possession of personal property unlawfully taken or unlawfully held. It is commonly filed by a secured creditor to recover possession of his collateral. In some states this proceeding is referred to as a "claim and delivery proceeding."
www.alqlist.com/glossary.html

* A legal proceeding in the courts to seize property (other than real estate) given as security for a debt that is in default.
www.propex.com/C_notes_rec_glos.htm

* Replevin, is an Anglo-French law term (derived from repletir, to replevy).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replevin

Related phrases: writ of replevin

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">