• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I to accept all respondsiblity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BeFoRrEaL

:confused: What is the name of your state?Georgia
As I was pulling off, a "friend" jumped on the back of my car and asked for a ride to the end of the block. About halfway there he jumped off. As a result, he landed on his face, chipped some teeth, and busted his lip. I offered to take him to the hospital but he declined. When asked what happened he stated, he got dizzy and jumped off, he didn't consider asking me to stop, and he didn't use his hands to brace himself because he thought he would hurt himself. His insurance won't cover it because he was on a moving vehicle. When I contacted my insurance agent he said he would drop my family's coverage if the claim was filed. Now I'm being sued. I never invited him to get on my car, but I didn't tell him to get off. I have two witnesses who were in the car at the time.
Can my insurance drop my family?
What is comparative negligence?
I will probably end up broke with no insurance won't I?
Can people sue you if you are broke with no assets?

abaga

BeFoRrEaL said:
:confused: What is the name of your state?Georgia
As I was pulling off, a "friend" jumped on the back of my car and asked for a ride to the end of the block. About halfway there he jumped off. As a result, he landed on his face, chipped some teeth, and busted his lip. I offered to take him to the hospital but he declined. When asked what happened he stated, he got dizzy and jumped off, he didn't consider asking me to stop, and he didn't use his hands to brace himself because he thought he would hurt himself. His insurance won't cover it because he was on a moving vehicle. When I contacted my insurance agent he said he would drop my family's coverage if the claim was filed. Now I'm being sued. I never invited him to get on my car, but I didn't tell him to get off. I have two witnesses who were in the car at the time.
I'm not an attorney, so wait for their responses.

When the person wanted to ride on the back of the car, and you didn't stop them, then I would say you accepted responsibility for their safety and well being. Heck, I don't let anyone in my car if they don't have a seat belt on, and if they refuse to wear one, then they don't ride in my car. You could have easily said to this person (and you have to admit to yourself, you KNOW it is not safe to allow what you allowed), "No, you can not ride on the back of my car, but please, get in and I will give you a ride."

You can not get blood out of a turnip, but I would assume they can win a judgement against you, and if you ever have assets, they can then take those.

Personally, I'd be surprised if your Insurance carrier will even cover this.

Again, I'm not an attorney, so wait to hear what they have to tell you.

racer72

but I didn't tell him to get off
]

This statement is enough to make you liable.

If you are all on the same policy. You are too much of a risk.

2 of more people being found negligent.

Depends on how good your legal representation is.

Happens everyday. Judgments can last up to 20 years or more, you might win the lotto or find a well paying job 10 years from now.

BeFoRrEaL

Because I didn't tell him to get off I accept liablity? I never told him to get on the MOVING vehicle! Is he not responsible for anything? He didn't even try to brace himself!! Does that sound crazy to anyone other than me? He didn't fall he jumped, does this not change anything? I know it's crazy but,I didn't think that it was dangerous, on a regular basis I place trash bags on my trunk as I transport them to the trash bin and they never fall!

abaga

BeFoRrEaL said:
Because I didn't tell him to get off I accept liablity? I never told him to get on the MOVING vehicle! Is he not responsible for anything? He didn't even try to brace himself!! Does that sound crazy to anyone other than me? He didn't fall he jumped, does this not change anything? I know it's crazy but,I didn't think that it was dangerous, on a regular basis I place trash bags on my trunk as I transport them to the trash bin and they never fall!
In all honesty, it sounds crazy that YOU did not tell the person to get off the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeFoRrEaL

Yes, I realize that now. Being 19yrs, Sometimes I don't think things through. Thanks for the advice ABAGA. I spoke with some legal aids and they all say I'm at fault. I accept that I made a bad desicion, but I wasn't the only one who made a bad choice, (He did jump off a moving car!!!). But if you can get millions for spilling Hot coffee on yourself, you might as well jump off a couple of cars to pay for tuition.
I know not asking him to get of was crazy, but is jumping on and then off of a moving vehicle, Normal?!?!?! Please tell me!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">