• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want more Money from Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MichaelSF

What is the name of your state?California

I have a motorcycle that was knocked over and after an estimate was done it was considered a " total loss" so the insurance is settling with me. The blue book value on my bike is $4,950. When the adjuster called he asked me how much I though the bike was worth and I told him 5,500. So he said he could offer me 5,820 dollars, so I said that would be fine and he said he would send the paperwork for me to sign to transfer the title. When I got the paperwork it listed the retail price as 5,275 and with tax it came out to 5,820. When I told him i thought the bike was worth 5,500 I thought he took that as the number and the extra money I did not know what it was for. Along with the paperwork he did send dealer estimate of the same motorcycle and the selling price. The closest to mine was listed at 5,800 dollars and had 8,000 miles. At the time my bike was lost I only had 5,600 miles. So i feel asking for 5,500 plus tasx would not be to much, or am I just being greedy?

JETX

MichaelSF said:
So i feel asking for 5,500 plus tasx would not be to much, or am I just being greedy?
Greedy.

However, you certainly have the right to return their check to them and file a lawsuit against the liable party. Then, when you go to court against their attorney, you might be lucky to get out with the $4950 that they should have paid you (Fair Market Value), plus tax. And of course, going to court on a case like this for a few hundred dollars... is usually not worth it.

Take the money and run.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">