• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for damages - covering my butt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

biglaz

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I was recently involved in a minor accident whereas I caused minor damage to another vehicle and no damage to mine. I'm going to pay to repair the damages out of pocket. I've seen the estimate on the repairs, and it seems reasonable, so my plan is to write a check made out to both the vehicle owner and the body shop. However, I want to get a document signed by the vehicle owner basically saying my check for xxx amount will cover the damages in full, so she doesn't magically "find" more damage, injuries, etc. Any suggestions on how to word such document?

Thanks! :)

teflon_jones

A simple thing to include would be:

The check #123 for the amount of $1000 settles in full all personal and property damages between the parties signing below for the accident on 10/22/2005 occurring at 2:30 pm at 123 First St.

Make sure you have the driver and all passengers sign this, as well as write their full names. Make sure the vehicle owner is the driver or a passenger as well or you could hear from them later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">