• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if I can't return to work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

csdunfee

I was injured at work in January of this year and have been off work since then(about a week after the injury). How long will I receive workmans comp. with my on going injury and can my employer discharge me if I can't return to work with in the 52 week period? Also, If I try to return to work and I can't perform my duties, what then? I want to return to work but my back is still a mess. I live in Ohio.

[Edited by csdunfee on 11-26-2000 at 04:35 PM]

L

LadyBlu

csdunfee said:
I was injured at work in January of this year and have been off work since then(about a week after the injury). How long will I receive workmans comp. with my on going injury and can my employer discharge me if I can't return to work with in the 52 week period? Also, If I try to return to work and I can't perform my duties, what then? I want to return to work but my back is still a mess.
Please read the writing in Red above.. need a State to provide accurate replies.

L

LadyBlu

Here is what I found:

I found htis for you regarding the temporary benefits.
I am not sure what the extent of your injury is, or what treatment and diagnosis has been done to this point but may I suggest that if you have not already had a MRI or CT scan performed that you do so.
Also, if you are suffering from any type of disk herniations you will be given a MMI rating (Maximum Medical Improvement) when you are released from Dr's care and returned to work. Make SURE you read the rating carefully and if not in agreement with it dispute it. Back injuries very rarely go away and most times then not will reoccur later in life and if you do not fight for it now, you may not have any rights to do so at a later date.

You can find more regarding the statutes on Workers Comp for Ohio at:
http://onlinedocs.andersonpublishing.com/revisedcode/home.cfm

then go to Labor codes[Title 41] and scroll down to Workers Comp.

§ 4123.56 Temporary disability compensation.
Text of Statute

(A) Except as provided in division (D) of this section, in the case of temporary disability, an employee shall receive sixty-six and two-thirds per cent of the employee's average weekly wage so long as such disability is total, not to exceed a maximum amount of weekly compensation which is equal to the statewide average weekly wage as defined in division (C) of section 4123.62 of the Revised Code, and not less than a minimum amount of compensation which is equal to thirty-three and one-third per cent of the statewide average weekly wage as defined in division (C) of section 4123.62 of the Revised Code unless the employee's wage is less than thirty-three and one-third per cent of the minimum statewide average weekly wage, in which event the employee shall receive compensation equal to the employee's full wages; provided that for the first twelve weeks of total disability the employee shall receive seventy-two per cent of the employee's full weekly wage, but not to exceed a maximum amount of weekly compensation which is equal to the lesser of the statewide average weekly wage as defined in division (C) of section 4123.62 of the Revised Code or one hundred per cent of the employee's net take-home weekly wage. In the case of a self-insuring employer, payments shall be for a duration based upon the medical reports of the attending physician. If the employer disputes the attending physician's report, payments may be terminated only upon application and hearing by a district hearing officer pursuant to division (C) of section 4123.511 [4123.51.1] of the Revised Code. Payments shall continue pending the determination of the matter, however payment shall not be made for the period when any employee has returned to work, when an employee's treating physician has made a written statement that the employee is capable of returning to the employee's former position of employment, when work within the physical capabilities of the employee is made available by the employer or another employer, or when the employee has reached the maximum medical improvement. Where the employee is capable of work activity, but the employee's employer is unable to offer the employee any employment, the employee shall register with the director of job and family services, who shall assist the employee in finding suitable employment. The termination of temporary total disability, whether by order or otherwise, does not preclude the commencement of temporary total disability at another point in time if the employee again becomes temporarily totally disabled.

After two hundred weeks of temporary total disability benefits, the medical section of the bureau of workers' compensation shall schedule the claimant for an examination for an evaluation to determine whether or not the temporary disability has become permanent. A self-insuring employer shall notify the bureau immediately after payment of two hundred weeks of temporary total disability and request that the bureau schedule the claimant for such an examination.

When the employee is awarded compensation for temporary total disability for a period for which the employee has received benefits under Chapter 4141. of the Revised Code, the bureau shall pay an amount equal to the amount received from the award to the director of job and family services and the director shall credit the amount to the accounts of the employers to whose accounts the payment of benefits was charged or is chargeable to the extent it was charged or is chargeable.
If any compensation under this section has been paid for the same period or periods for which temporary nonoccupational accident and sickness insurance is or has been paid pursuant to an insurance policy or program to which the employer has made the entire contribution or payment for providing insurance or under a nonoccupational accident and sickness program fully funded by the employer, compensation paid under this section for the period or periods shall be paid only to the extent by which the payment or payments exceeds the amount of the nonoccupational insurance or program paid or payable. Offset of the compensation shall be made only upon the prior order of the bureau or industrial commission or agreement of the claimant.

As used in this division, "net take-home weekly wage" means the amount obtained by dividing an employee's total remuneration, as defined in section 4141.01 of the Revised Code, paid to or earned by the employee during the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters which immediately precede the first day of the employee's entitlement to benefits under this division, by the number of weeks during which the employee was paid or earned remuneration during those four quarters, less the amount of local, state, and federal income taxes deducted for each such week.
(B) Where an employee in a claim allowed under this chapter suffers a wage loss as a result of returning to employment other than the employee's former position of employment or as a result of being unable to find employment consistent with the claimant's physical capabilities, the employee shall receive compensation at sixty-six and two-thirds per cent of the employee's weekly wage loss not to exceed the statewide average weekly wage for a period not to exceed two hundred weeks.

(C) In the event an employee of a professional sports franchise domiciled in this state is disabled as the result of an injury or occupational disease, the total amount of payments made under a contract of hire or collective bargaining agreement to the employee during a period of disability is deemed an advanced payment of compensation payable under sections 4123.56 to 4123.58 of the Revised Code. The employer shall be reimbursed the total amount of the advanced payments out of any award of compensation made pursuant to sections 4123.56 to 4123.58 of the Revised Code.

(D) If an employee receives temporary total disability benefits pursuant to division (A) of this section and social security retirement benefits pursuant to the "Social Security Act," the weekly benefit amount under division (A) of this section shall not exceed sixty-six and two-thirds per cent of the statewide average weekly wage as defined in division (C) of section 4123.62 of the Revised Code.
History

HISTORY: GC § 1465-79; 103 v 72(85), § 32; 108 v PtI, 313; 110 v 224; 117 v 252; 119 v 565; 121 v 660; 122 v 268(280); 123 v 250; 124 v 806; Bureau of Code Revision, 10-1-53; 126 v 1015(1028) (Eff 10-5-55); 128 v 743(757) (Eff 11-2-59); 130 v 926 (Eff 10-1-63); 132 v H 268 (Eff 12-11-67); 133 v H 1 (Eff 3-18-69); 134 v H 280 (Eff 9-20-71); 135 v H 417 (Eff 11-16-73); 136 v H 714 (Eff 1-1-76); 136 v S 545 (Eff 1-17-77); 137 v H 1282 (Eff 1-1-79); 138 v S 30 (Eff 5-14-79); 138 v H 184 (Eff 6-27-79); 141 v S 307 (Eff 8-22-86); 141 v S 390 (Eff 7-17-86); 141 v S 411, § 3 (Eff 7-17-86); 141 v S 411, § 5 (Eff 8-22-86); 143 v H 222 (Eff 11-3-89); 145 v H 107 (Eff 10-20-93); 147 v S 45;* 148 v H 471. Eff 7-1-2000.

* The amendments made by SB 45 (147 v --) were rejected by the 11-4-97 referendum vote on Issue 2.

The effective date is set by section 12(A) of HB 471.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">