• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Training Contract Woes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wiggsfly

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Well, for some reason I signed at my old company. They changed their mind with me and decided to make it 3 years at 6000 dollars and right after I signed I was told new FOs are too dumb for any real training and the training contract was just because he was sick of new FOs quitting for the airlines. The agreement I signed said they were giving me a $6000 grant on July 1. After July 1 I flew along on 1 owner trip (we took the aircraft owner somewhere and he paid for the aircraft) which was billed to the customer and I took my checkride (which I was specifically told did not count to the agreement). To show how much training I had on the checkride I had no idea of stall procedures and as it was only my first time flying an actual pattern it was less than pretty to say the least.

Well, now it is Nov and I've found my dream job. I talked to them about it before I resigned and they terminated me on the spot which made the decision easy. Now they are demanding repayment of the grant which they never gave me and they are demanding it in full which wasn't even part of the original agreement they bullied me into signing (it was originally supposed to be pro-rated payments).

My stance till now has been to just ignore it. I figure they fired me so i've turned down their registered letter today, etc. Any suggestions (this is in Illinois)? I can't afford a lawyer. I'm not even sre they have a copy of the agreement as they lost my file over a month ago and so far it would appear that they aren't reading it in demanding payment from me....
:confused:

pattytx

This is all very confusing. I don't understand the details. However, you should still have whatever you signed reviewed by an attorney. You can get a referral through the local chapter of the American Bar Association for a relatively low fee for a 30-45 minute meeting. I did this several years ago and it was only $35. Good move on my part. The attorney (it was a WC case) took my case on contigency and got me half again as much as the company offered. Check the phone book for Lawyer's Referral services.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">