• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsafe driver ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NotSoNew

What is the name of your state? NJ

My BF got several tickets (this was about a year ago) while driving an ambulance (he is an EMT) the cop just piled the tickets on because he was upset that my BF was driving with lights and sirens on and passed traffic for what the police officer didnt think was a "real" emergency. Anyway all irrelevant, he got a lawyer because had he gotten all of the tickets and points his license would have been suspended and he would no longer have a job.

He got one ticket "unsafe driver" for 2 points and paid about 400 dollars in fines. Which was all good. Now that he is trying to get insurance in his own name (he's insurance was previously in someone elses name) they (the insurance company) are telling him that while the ticket is only 2 points the insurance company looks at is as the worst thing imaginable and told him he might as well have taken the 4 other tickets he was issued instead of this ticket and that a new policy would be 4000 a year (as opposed to our normal 1500 a year).

Does anyone know anything about this? I thought they could only raise your rates based upon your points? This just sounds crazy! Although in NJ i wouldnt doubt anything.

teflon_jones

Insurance companies in NJ have the discretion to charge whatever they want based on a driver's record. If you don't like the rates you're getting, go to another insurance company.

biglaz

It seems like a lot of the story is missing. I really doubt he got tickets because the officer was "upset." Usually the fire/ems and police have a pretty decent relationship. More than likely he really messed up if he's getting these tickets. Running emergency without authorization or at least a darn good reason can carry some serious consequences.

Anyway, have you tried other insurance companies? $2,000 for 6 months seems very expensive for one person. I've never lived in NJ however, so I'm not sure how serious an "unsafe driver" citation can be.

NotSoNew

biglaz said:
It seems like a lot of the story is missing. I really doubt he got tickets because the officer was "upset." Usually the fire/ems and police have a pretty decent relationship. More than likely he really messed up if he's getting these tickets. Running emergency without authorization or at least a darn good reason can carry some serious consequences.

Anyway, have you tried other insurance companies? $2,000 for 6 months seems very expensive for one person. I've never lived in NJ however, so I'm not sure how serious an "unsafe driver" citation can be.
sure there was more to the story, it was a very small beach town and the cops was mad that a non local EMS company was getting the call rather then their own squad. his dispatcher told them to go code 3 (lights and sirens) and he had that on tape when he went to court. if your dispatcher tells you to go lights and sirens its not your job to ask them if this is "truly an emergency" you just go. The police officer felt it was not truly and emergency. He never pulled my BF over but called his dispatcher and asked where he was going and why (it was a nursing home call) then went to the nursing home and asked the staff questions on why he was going. In the end the judge told him he (the officer) was out of line to do those things and that is not his job. BF has never had any trouble before or after that, he actually stopped driving right after that because he was petrified the same thing would happen again and now he just dispatches.

Anway I looked into adding him as a driver and his car to my policy and it seems its only going to be 1100 for 6 months, 2200 for the year, not too bad. i just wonder why they (the same insurance company) would charge him more for his own seperate policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">