• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stuck with the tix

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

My ex and I were supposed to go on a trip to the DR together with a group of friends. He said he'd pay me back once he got his income tax check so ofcourse I paid with my Amex card. We ended up breaking up before the trip. I took him to Civil Court and won the judgement. He moved to Georgia. How do I go about getting my money back for the trip? I have the letter stating I won the judgement. And is it worth pursuing?

You Are Guilty

saintkbsmom67 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My ex and I were supposed to go on a trip to the DR together with a group of friends. He said he'd pay me back once he got his income tax check so ofcourse I paid with my Amex card. We ended up breaking up before the trip. I took him to Civil Court and won the judgement. He moved to Georgia. How do I go about getting my money back for the trip? I have the letter stating I won the judgement.
First, you need the actual judgment (not a "letter"). You can get a copy from the court clerk of the county you filed the case in. Then, you need to domesticate the judgment in Georgia under their UEFJL provisions (9-12-130 et seq.). Then, once you have a valid Georgia state court judgment, you have to enforce it (many, many ways of going about it).

And is it worth pursuing?
Maybe. Are you familiar with Georgia civil procedure? Do you travel there often? Can your ex pay (does he have any assets?) How much is your time worth?

You Are Guilty said:
First, you need the actual judgment (not a "letter"). You can get a copy from the court clerk of the county you filed the case in. Then, you need to domesticate the judgment in Georgia under their UEFJL provisions (9-12-130 et seq.). Then, once you have a valid Georgia state court judgment, you have to enforce it (many, many ways of going about it).

Maybe. Are you familiar with Georgia civil procedure? Do you travel there often? Can your ex pay (does he have any assets?) How much is your time worth?
Not familiar with Georgia's laws at all. Never been in the state. As far as assets, I am not sure what he's hiding. We are also dealing in court for child support. Also I have the judgement letter that was sent after I won.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">