• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They are Not the good neighbor they claim to be

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lynley

What is the name of your state?California,
I wanted to extend a big THANKS for taking the time to help so many people. I hope you are able to make some since from this situation. I approached an intersection where I had a green light, a car tried to turn left in front of me, an accident was unavoidable and my truck was a total loss. With what little money i received from the ins., I lucked out and found a truck to replace it. I had it registered etc, and decided to remove the weathered graphics and have it painted before switching the ins. over so that the premium would only have to be adjusted one time. During that time my dad passed away so it took a little longer than expected. The very night I got it back from being painted, it was stollen from my driveway. I was devistated. I made the police report and had a friend come with me to my insurance company because I knew there was a lot to cover. My ins. agent was out so i spoke with the agent taking his place. Since my insurance was current he said that my new truck would be covered so he filed a claim. While i was there i told him that my premium was due for a payment but i wasn't sure how much to write the check for since this was a different truck, and he told me to make it out for the same amount as i had been paying and then they would adjust it. I left feeling very relieved to know that i was covered.
I received a call from the adjuster, and he said that from the time i purchased the truck until the time i reported it to them was slightly over a month therefore i was not covered. That was followed by a registered letter which reads as follows (I believe it is written in English)
"It is questionable whether the vehicle involved in the "accident" constitutes either a temporary substitute, newly-acquired or non-owned automobile or car, as defined in the policy, or a trailer as covered in the policy." It is questionable whether the policy applies by reason of the existence of other collectible insurance applicable in whole or part."
And if that isn't confusing enough, I just got a cancellation notice due to non payment of the premium, which was dated five days after the receipt of the payment i made when i was in the office. Since I was 16 i have been insured through this company, which make it 28 years now. In that time NEVER ONCE did my policy lapse for non payment or any other reason. The only claim they have payed on my behalf was when the other driver ran the red light, and the other insurance company disputed who was as fault because of no eye witnesses. That accident has already been determined that i wasn't at fault and my ins. has already been reimbursed. I just happened to find that out the day i was in their office. I knew that i would have to recover the money i spent for the rental car from the other insurance company but what i was also told, which i didn't know, was that it was my responsability to recover my $500 decuctable from the other insurance company as well. My insurance is NOT the good neighbor they claim to be!!!. With all of this confusion i guess my question would be...Even though I didn't tell them about the new truck with in the "one month" time limit, however the day i was in their office, I have the receipt and and eyewitness to prove that I did make a payment specifically for my truck which the agent knew to have been stollen. For that reason wouldn't i be covered. Help! And If not, at the very least am i intitled to be reimbursed for the premium

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">