• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitting my job, do I have to pay back vacation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm in Georgia-

I am having surgery in a few weeks to correct a disc/spine problem. My employer has been beyond unsympathetic and I told her it would be 2-3 weeks before I could return to work, then limited duty. She fought with me over my return date insisting it be 2 weeks from the day of my surgery.

I doubt I have much legal recourse in this situation as we're a small company (17 employees) and a lot of laws covering medical leave don't seem to apply to us. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I'm being forced to use up the remainder of my vacation and borrow 6 days from my 2006 vacation (which I earn on 6/30/06). I have absolutely decided that I'm quitting immediately after the holidays.

My question is- I do not want nor do I intend to pay back the vacation time. If I have to, I'll quit on a payday so I am paid to date and they can't deduct it. What will their recourse be in this situation? We're talking about roughly $1100 for the 6 days.

Thanks!

pattytx

In Georgia, this is not prohibited. If the employer chose, they could sue you civilly if you terminate before the overpayment can be recovered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">