• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abandon water vessel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nighthawk47

What is the name of your state? texas
i had to abandon my sailboat at a marina because i could not pay the dock rent, the owner of the marina accepted the boat for payment. the boat was worth $8,000.00. i had to give it up for back dock rent of $600.00. the owner of the marina in turn found someone to take the boat and gave it to this person for free if he would move it. he moved it and kept the boat. he is now suing me for the title , which i do not have, it was lost . can he do this even though the boat was considered as abandoned? i feel i am out of it when i gave up rights to the boat when i relinquished it to the marina owner for past due dock rent. am i right? and how can i stop this person from hassling me any further?

BelizeBreeze

You should have given the dock owner a bill of sale if the title had been lost. Contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles (or whomever licenses boats in that godforsaken wilderness) and ask them about filing for a lost title)

Then sign the damn thing over and be done with it.

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
You should have given the dock owner a bill of sale if the title had been lost. Contact your local Department of Motor Vehicles (or whomever licenses boats in that godforsaken wilderness) and ask them about filing for a lost title)

Then sign the damn thing over and be done with it.
i feel i am out of it when i gave up rights to the boat when i relinquished it to the marina owner for past due dock rent.

You felt wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">