• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re:wrongful job termination lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

funman

Re:wrongful job termination lawsuit

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Thanks for replying beth3. Here are the details.

A co-worker and I had a argument that turned into a short fight. Co-worker hits me first but the boss did not see him. I hit him right after he hits me and i'm caught by the boss. Other co-workers told me they witnessed him hitting me. The boss fires me not him. I worked on this job 17 years. This fight happened in April 2004. The employees who witnessed the fight have changed jobs. I can locate the ones that moved on but would it be worth it?
What a is the statue of limitations for filing a wrongful termination lawsuit? We did not belong to a union. I was told that i have a good case. Is it too late to file against this termination in court? Thank You,funman.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the basis of the facts you have posted you do not have a wrongful termination suit, and even if you did, the statute of limitations would have already expired. The only possible way this might be considered wrongful would be if you could show valid evidence that you were termed and he was not BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin or other protected characteristic and if that were the case, the SOL expired in March of 2005.

In any case, you'd have a very tough time proving illegal discrimination under the facts you described. First of all, the fact that you hit a co-worker is grounds for termination no matter how you slice it. The fact that you got caught and he didn't doesn't make your termination illegal. I don't know who told you, you had a good case but on the facts you've posted, you don't have ANY case. Unfair is not automatically illegal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">