• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Wife Verbal Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amanda1979

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ca.

My boyfriend loaned his ex-wife $2,400.00 (cash from savings)because she was being sued. He was promised payment within the month, that was in June 2004. She is now claiming that she will repay when she gets her taxes next year. Our thoughts are that she will drag it out until his verbal agreement is no longer valid and that she has no real intention to pay him back. My question's: Is his Bank statement enough proof to win in small claims? Can we supoena paperwork to show she was being sued at the same time these withdrawls were made? Any help would be great. Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

amanda1979 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Ca.

My boyfriend loaned his ex-wife $2,400.00 (cash from savings)because she was being sued. He was promised payment within the month, that was in June 2004. She is now claiming that she will repay when she gets her taxes next year. Our thoughts are that she will drag it out until his verbal agreement is no longer valid and that she has no real intention to pay him back. My question's: Is his Bank statement enough proof to win in small claims? Can we supoena paperwork to show she was being sued at the same time these withdrawls were made? Any help would be great. Thanks

My response:

Your boyfriend has more than the two-year Statute of Limitations to worry about. He also has the Statute of Frauds to be concerned about. That's her defense to a lawsuit.

But, he may as well file against her now and hope for the best. So, yes, bring and obtain whatever proof he has concerning the loan - - including any e-mails.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">