• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliatory eviction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ANGELWEEZY

What is the name of your state?South Carolina

I went to see a mobile home on 9-10-05, the place had a few problems, but as long as they were addressed, I thought everything would be fine. The front steps needed replacing as they were weak and there was 50 million nail holes that needed to be repaired and whom ever loved there last had allowed their children to color the walls in 2 of the bedrooms. I told the landlord that we wanted the place and that we did not mind doing the needed repairs I listed, because we had plans of calling the place home for at least 3 years. She agreed to let us do the repairs and painting.

We moved in on 9-16-05,had water turned on, found out that the kitchen sink leaked, was clogged up, the floor around the toilet was weak and there was a leak around the toilet, the heating element in the stove did not work. I called her on 9-17-05 but was not able to make any contact until 9-19-05. I told her everything, she said she would get someone out there asap,never heard from until 9-23-05. By this time, I was pretty mad, as we had not been able to do anything in the home, since the repairs that were needed pretty much stops all daily living. I gave her a letter that same day, requesting in writing that the repairs be done immediately. She sent some guy out to look to see exactly what was gonna need to be done to correct the problems. I never saw anyone and I called ,left messages until 10-10-05. I had spent all this time with a water leaks,sewage backing up in sink,toilet sinking in the floor,and no oven. They guy came out on 10/10,fixed the clog and placed a piece of plywood over the weak spot, nothing else. He was too busy telling me about him running drugs out of Georgia and all about his sex life with his wife. He left, told me he would be back the next morning. The next morning he(Maintenance guy) calls ME, telling me that my landlord had short changed him and was refusing to pay him anymore, he told me that I had better also watch my back,cause he was gonna come down and break the windows out of all the landlord's property,that he was gonna get his money one way or another. I called the landlord, she acted like it was no big deal and told me I was just gonna have to wait until she could call a repair man to come out the next day. The so called next day ended up being a week later,but only because of what happened next. I came home to find that on top of the other problems, my food in the frig was thawing out and the motor was roaring. I turned it wide open to help from losing my freezer food. That night the temp's dropped down in the 40's, so I turned the heat on, NO HEAT,even after she had claimed, she had the central unit checked and serviced the week we came to look at the mobile home.

When I called her, she told me that her ex-husband was going to be over their with in the hour and that he was going to fix all the other stuff that I had been begging to have fixed along with the frig and the heating.I thought, FINALLY.....Wrong. The landlord and her Ex showed up,he started doing something to the heating unit. The landlord left. He left right after she did, said he had to go get some tool he needed. 3 hours later, the landlord came to my place asking me where her Ex was, I told her what he said, she nows tells me that he is strung out on crystal meth and that he has stolen her car. 1 hour later, the police are at my door wanting to search my home for the landlord's EX.

I still did not have the needed repairs, no heat and a bad frig too boot. I finally myself, went and bought the oven element and put it on myself, but the leak, rotten floor,heat and frig, I had no money to repair what the landlord is required to do. She finally got a heating company/friend of her's come fix the heat,said that she would not do anything to fix the frig until it completely went out. I again told her that I could not afford a big utility bill,from the frig running/roaring 24/7.

Finally she said that she had a friend gonna come fix flooring and leak. It was gonna be 10-23-05 before she could do that,still losing water. I told her that I had to go to the doctor 200 miles away, but that I would be back by 6pm. She asked that if I was not home,IF she came and stayed with the repair guy until I made it home. I told her YES and that I appreciated it. I came home @6:30PM TO FIND 4 Strange men in my place and no sight . They worked on the toilet for 2 hours, pulled it up from the floor,pulled rotted wood up then they got ready to leave. We asked when they were gonna finish this, next weekend. So now NO toilet. I told the landlord that I was not able to go to the bathroom and shower in my front yard, that it had to be finished the next day.I could see she was mad.

I stepped inside to get her the rent money(YES< I ALWAYS PAID MY RENT), came back out, she threw the rent money back at me,told me that the situation was not working for her, that I had to get out of her Molie home. She said that she could not find anyone that would do the repairs the right way and that no one wants to work for what she is willing to pay them. I was in shock. One week later, we recieve a demand to move based on non-legitimate complaints...

We did go ahead and move, we had no choice, I could not live in unihabitable condition. I have sent her a letter, stating that we demanded our deposit back, gave her an address to mai the deposit. I stated all the S.C> lanlord/tenant laws and let her know that we will be sueing her for retaliatory eviction.

What is your take on the situation and how and where to file in order to sue her? Sorry so long.....

Last edited:

JETX

ANGELWEEZY said:
What is your take on the situation
I think your post is way too long...

and how and where to file in order to sue her?
How?? You contact the court and get a complaint form.
Where? In the county where the rental is located or where the landlord lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">