• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cited for Improper Passing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kadi1013

The name of my state is Ohio. Recently I was in an accident, and cited for improper passing. I am planning on contesting the ticket though, because my car was struck by a vehicle in reverse. I live at the bottom of a hill and the accident occurred at a T shaped intersection at the top of my street, which is in a residential neighborhood. I was driving forward in my lane of traffic, when a flatbed truck in reverse backed into my vehicle, and I turned my car to the left to avoid an frontal collision. The impact caused considerable damage to the body of my 1995 Toyota Tercel, and a small scratch to back end of the flatbed truck that struck my vehicle. I have been left with a $104 dollar ticket for "improper passing", and a $2000 dollar repair on my $2000 dollar car and the driver of the flatbed truck walked away with no citation, no damage, and no obligation to pay for the damage to my vehicle. My biggest question is this, even if I was not at a complete stop when the impact occurred, doesn't the driver in reverse assume liability for backing his vehicle into my forward moving vehicle? :eek:

kadi1013 said:
The name of my state is Ohio. Recently I was in an accident, and cited for improper passing. I am planning on contesting the ticket though, because my car was struck by a vehicle in reverse. I live at the bottom of a hill and the accident occurred at a T shaped intersection at the top of my street, which is in a residential neighborhood. I was driving forward in my lane of traffic, when a flatbed truck in reverse backed into my vehicle, and I turned my car to the left to avoid an frontal collision. The impact caused considerable damage to the body of my 1995 Toyota Tercel, and a small scratch to back end of the flatbed truck that struck my vehicle. I have been left with a $104 dollar ticket for "improper passing", and a $2000 dollar repair on my $2000 dollar car and the driver of the flatbed truck walked away with no citation, no damage, and no obligation to pay for the damage to my vehicle. My biggest question is this, even if I was not at a complete stop when the impact occurred, doesn't the driver in reverse assume liability for backing his vehicle into my forward moving vehicle? :eek:
Not if you were illegally passing him at the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">