• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police out of jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

catco50

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia
I was driving home from shopping. Traffic was moderate to heavy. Everyone was doing approximately the same speed. I had cars in front of me, in back of me and to the side of me. After we all came around a bend in the road I noticed people braking. I saw over to the right, two police cars off the road about 1/4 mile from the county/city line. I immediately looked down at my speedometer and saw I was traveling at about 50 mph. I took my foot off the gas pedal and was coasting. I was still keeping up with the traffic. I wasn't going any faster or slower then the rest of the traffic. As I passed the two parked police cars, one of them started to pull out into the road. By time he got behind me we had both crossed over into the next county and city limits. He didn't put on his lights to pull me over for another 1/4 mile. When he did put on his lights I pulled over and as he approached my vehicle he proceded to tell me that he clocked me doing 60 in a 45 mph zone with a laser gun.
My question is how can he be sure it was me he got with the laser gun with all the other traffic around me doing the same speed I was doing AND once we both crossed over into the next county and city isn't he out of his jurisdiction? Is this worth fighting in court? I haven't had any violations since 1999.

racer72

You watched too much of The Dukes Of Hazzard. The officer's jurisdiction is the state that he is sworn in as an officer. And it appears he zapped you will still in his home county, there is no such thing as crossing the county line to get away from a cop. You need a better excuse.

catco50 said:
My question is how can he be sure it was me he got with the laser gun with all the other traffic around me doing the same speed I was doing AND once we both crossed over into the next county and city isn't he out of his jurisdiction? Is this worth fighting in court? I haven't had any violations since 1999.
Because the laser beam width is minute. That's how.

Jurisdiction?...... please read other forums..... and Old Wives Tale.

No, not worth fighting based upon your arguements here........

Congrats on your 1st "violation since 1999".

catco50

racer72 said:
You watched too much of The Dukes Of Hazzard. The officer's jurisdiction is the state that he is sworn in as an officer. And it appears he zapped you will still in his home county, there is no such thing as crossing the county line to get away from a cop. You need a better excuse.
First of all, I don't watch the Dukes of Hazzard. Never have, never will.
Second, at the time I got pulled over, I did NOT notice I was in another county/city. It was after the fact when I was doing a little investigating that I noticed the point he pulled me over was out of his jurisdiction.
Third, If I didn't want an answer to my questions I never would have asked.
I was not looking for an excuse. I was merely stating facts to see where I stand. You know there are bad cops all over. Some give out tickets just for the revenue it generates.
Why would I send you a private message. I wouldn't waste my time.

Last edited:

sukharev

laser beam is minute, but can reflect

poohmantbb said:
Because the laser beam width is minute. That's how
That's what you hear from cops: laser is precise, beam is small and can target a single car. Bunch of bologney! This is what they hear themselves in training school. But it's only true when lidar is used under ideal conditions. When there are other reflective surfaces (like cars, signs, etc.), the beam can bounce from those and give false readings. In addition, distance at which measurement took place is critical. At an angle, you would get all sorts of errors like cosine and sweeping errors. Cops know about them but stay silent in court, unless you specifically ask the question. They have to mention the errors, and immediately discredit their initial statement about precise measurement.

Another one they pull off regularly is the time it took to measure speed (instantaneous or fraction of a second, or something like that). As a PhD laser expert, I can tell you: this is a lie they heared in training, and cannot testify to the validity of it. If no judicial notice exists in your jurisdiction, ask for immediate dismissal of the case, due to lack of evidence. The officer is not an expert in laser technology (show the judge appropriate NJ case law)

catco50

poohmantbb said:
Because the laser beam width is minute. That's how.

Jurisdiction?...... please read other forums..... and Old Wives Tale.

No, not worth fighting based upon your arguements here........

Congrats on your 1st "violation since 1999".
What does that mean the laser beam width is a minute?
I understand that the cop could chase me all the way to Mexico if he wanted to.
Why are you congratulating me on not having a violation since 1999? I wasn't bragging. I was just stating facts. Past driving record is usually taken into consideration. That is why I mentioned it.

Last edited:

sukharev

catco50 said:
What does that mean the laser beam width is a minute?
I repeat, it means laser is precise, beam is small and can target a single car. At 1000 feet, the width is ~3-4 feet. However, that's only small part of the story. When the beam reflects from your car, it can hit anything else in its path, so if there was traffic around you, the signal could be generated by anything or any other car (which could be much faster or even traveling in opposite direction). After reflecting a couple times from moving objects, the beam gets back to the detector in the lidar. LTI (one of the major brands) claims to have good error trapping algorithm, but it has been shown less than perfect in court (see case law I posted earlier in different thread).

sukharev said:
That's what you hear from cops: laser is precise, beam is small and can target a single car. Bunch of bologney!
Yeah.... OK.... That is why they are used world wide............. FYI.... your PhD in laser expertise did not include spelling "bologna", did it?

sukharev said:
At an angle, you would get all sorts of errors like cosine and sweeping errors.
Yeah, laser expert. The cosine effect goes in favor of the violator.

sukharev said:
Another one they pull off regularly is the time it took to measure speed (instantaneous or fraction of a second, or something like that). As a PhD laser expert, I can tell you:
PhD....... Hmmmmm.... (See above)

sukharev

as JETX would say, another idiot...

poohmantbb said:
Yeah, laser expert. The cosine effect goes in favor of the violator.
I'd leave spelling to school teachers like you. As for cosine error, it actually goes in favor of the cop, as he would measure speed less than actual one. So, if you say there was cosine error, you are essentially saying you were speeding even more. My point was that there ARE errors in this technology, just like with any other.

FYI, I just came across a bunch of jurisdiction-related articles, and in many cases persuit is only allowed if there is probable cause for something bad, not just speeding infraction. I am sure you can sink your teeth into this one, I am off this thread for good.

sukharev said:
I'd leave spelling to school teachers like you. As for cosine error, it actually goes in favor of the cop, as he would measure speed less than actual one. So, if you say there was cosine error, you are essentially saying you were speeding even more. My point was that there ARE errors in this technology, just like with any other.
Ummmm, you're wrong again. It would be a benefit for the violator. If you were doing 75 in a 65.... and the cosine effect shows you doing 71.... you may just get a free pass; or not stopped at all.

sukharev said:
FYI, I just came across a bunch of jurisdiction-related articles, and in many cases persuit is only allowed if there is probable cause for something bad, not just speeding infraction. I am sure you can sink your teeth into this one, I am off this thread for good.
Again, you're wrong (at least in OR). Officers have statewide authority.

Opppps..... Guess I shouldn't prove somebody to be full of ****, it scares them away. With advise like you give...... see yourself off this website before you screw somebody up.

CdwJava

poohmantbb said:
In CA as well.

It might be bad form for an officer to "poach" outside his primary jurisdiction, but it is not unlawful here. The CHP and the S.O. do it in our city all the time ... and when I worked down south the Harbor cops would get bored and hit the city streets.

The days of Smokey and the Bandit are over.

- Carl

sukharev

who's wrong?

poohmantbb said:
Ummmm, you're wrong again. It would be a benefit for the violator. If you were doing 75 in a 65.... and the cosine effect shows you doing 71.... you may just get a free pass; or not stopped at all.
I was not talking about a free pass, wise a**. I was talking about situation in court, where you are clocked at 75 and mention cosine error. The judge (if he knows) would laugh at you and ask if you plead guilty to going 90 instead. Nonetheless, this is just one of the many errors that are inherent to radar and lidar technology.

poohmantbb said:
Every state and even town has its own rules. I could be wrong about OR or CA, but not in general. I was sure you would pick up on that one, though.

BTW, why don't you let posters decide whose advice was better. Your insults are sure not helping them. Maybe you can find a better way to amuse yourself in future :)

sukharev said:
BTW, why don't you let posters decide whose advice was better. Your insults are sure not helping them. Maybe you can find a better way to amuse yourself in future :)
Read surrounding posts. Maybe I am going out on a limb here, but I think accurate advise is preferred. I also was not trying to insult, just proved you wrong!

Did you decide to abandoned your pledge of being done with this forum?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">