• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

94 Caravan Trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdawley4

What is the name of your state? GA

My wife and I purchased a 94 Grand Caravan from a private party seller on Aug. 20, 2005. We were looking for something bigger for our 3 kids but didn't have a lot to spend on it. We saw it, looked at it, test drove it and bought it. The asking price was $2800 and we were able to talk the seller down to 2600, but no lower. We got all the maintenance papers with it. About 3 days later, the thing stalled on my wife with the kids in the van. I called the owners and asked them if they experienced the same problem and they said they haven't. We were able to get it cranked back up and drove on. About 2 days later, it stalls again. We took it to our local mechanic. They looked at it and said nothing wrong with it. It kept doing this about once every 2 weeks. I took it in to the mechanic and asked them to do a diagnostic check on it and reset the computer. They did that and it didn't stall for a month. Now it has been almost 2 1/2 months since we had the van and it is still stalling once every 2 weeks. I also looked at the papers and found out that the van has been to the dealership about 5 times for stalling and had almost every sensor replaced related to stalling and the computer. We didn't have time to look over the service records, as we had to be somewhere the day we bought it. Is there any way that my wife and I can file this vehicle as a lemon and demand the seller give our money back? My wife is afraid to drive the van and I don't like driving it because of the stalling.

Thanks,

Chris

Caravan problems

For future reference, 11 year old chrysler products are not known for their reliability. Some might argue that 1 year old chryslers are not known for their reliability.

That aside, unless the private party you purchased the van from specifically warranted it (in writing would be best), you are out of luck.

Note: Chrysler only warranted the vehicle for 3/36 when it was BRAND NEW. OK, I know, some got 7/70, but this one is almost 12 years old.

When you buy a vehicle that is that old, it would be very wise to budget for some immediate repairs.

JETX

cdawley4 said:
Is there any way that my wife and I can file this vehicle as a lemon and demand the seller give our money back?
Nope.

caveat emptor
(kah-vee-ott emptor) Latin for "let the buyer beware." The basic premise that the buyer buys at his/her own risk and therefore should examine and test a product himself/herself for obvious defects and imperfections. Caveat emptor still applies even if the purchase is "as is" or when a defect is obvious upon reasonable inspection before purchase.

dallas702

You have no case against the seller. Since it seems like they have checked your electrical system thoroughly, move on to something more common like the fuel pump/filter and sending unit. Intermittent problems with those is common once they start to age/wear.

When they did the diagnostic, what were the codes that showed up? You can get the basic codes yourself via turning the ign key on and off and reading the flashes on your service engine light on the dash, but you'll need a Haynes or Chilton Manual to tell you what to do and look for. Or, any aftermarket parts house like Autozone, Pep Boys, Checker, etc. can read the codes and run a tape with more detailed info. (for free).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">