• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination, Termination, and Timing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

law_ny1

:( What is the name of your state? NY

hello, forum - i will get right to the matter for sake of brevity. I have been working at a company for 5 years under one manager, and performance was never an issue. (I have perf reviews to prove it) A new mgr, who I never see gets appointed, and in less than 6 months a paper trail of exaggerations, misleading and factually untrue incidents are built up against me, and suddenly I'm the worst thing that ever happened to the company. I have been treated unfairly, held to different standards than the rest of my group, excluded, demoralized and harrassed. I was set up fail with malice and forethought on the managers part to force me out. I know for a fact that he was actively engaging clients to find out info to use against me as well.

I have inches of emails printed out to refute these facts, and even letters of praise from several clients. They were looking for a cause to push me out of the company. I have reason to believe they have violated my human rights and discriminated against me. Recently, I was issued a final written warning based on the same bogus issues that come up time and again. Even projects that occurred under my previous mgr!

After I knew my job was in immediate jeopardy, I did two things, I initiated a claim with the EEOC, and retained a lawyer. First, EEOC didn't yet contact me. My lawyers, wanted to build a case, and told me not to complain to HR, b/c they wanted me to draft a letter to the heads of the company, to be followed up by their letter - to set the company up to retaliate against me.

Even when I did go to HR to refute this with the facts, they were so clearly biased against me and clearly in the managers camp that I couldn't bring myself to cry discrimination, b/c they would have not taken it seriously (which is why i got the lawyer). I did request ALL my performance reviews for the last 5 years, and access to my employee file, and fear they may have sensed I was looking to get a lawyer (can this be considered a form of retaliation?)

Anyway, between the time I got the final warning, I was the absolute ideal perfect employee, got to work early, stayed late, worked evenings and weekends, made sure every email was responded to, etc...NOT to give them any reason to fire me. But obviously, that was the plan, regardless of what I did.

Come recently, I was requested by my managers to attend a mtg in a private room, and I knew that this was it. However, I excused myself to the bathroom, called my lawyer, and he advised me to try to avoid the mtg. The only thing I could do was leave the company. I was operating under great duress, sick, shaking and nauseous, and informed one person in my group that I needed to leave for medical emergency. I did go to my doctor and get a note. So, even though I KNOW i was about to be fired, I left before the meeting. Am I fired then? Don't they have to officially notify me of this?

Now, my concerns although I believe my discrimination claims are valid, that these SOB's may have preempted my lawyer's strategy. He did finally get a letter to the company that very day requesting a mtg w/their lawyers. But, I never had the opportunity to put in the complaint letter. Events just happened so fast.

I have been grossly wronged, and discriminated against, and have i think good circumstantial evidence. On top of that, they outed me two weeks before my vested pension day, and one month before my bonus. Can my case still succeed in absence of official complaint and retaliation? Please help me feel more comfortable that they didn't get away with this illegal act.
Thank you very much!

BelizeBreeze

I don't know what YAG will tell you but My feeling is you have an idiot attorney who just gave the company grounds to fire your ass for insubordination.

You Are Guilty

BelizeBreeze said:
I don't know what YAG will tell you but My feeling is you have an idiot attorney who just gave the company grounds to fire your ass for insubordination.
Sounds good to me. Of couse, I stopped reading after the first sentence, so don't hold me to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">