• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-fianace owes money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amygee01

What is the name of your state? florida

My daughter was to get married to a man in the military. She broke it off a few months ago. He was serving in Iraq when they made the plans. I bought the wedding rings so she could wear her engagement ring while he was gone. Upon his arrival here, he paid me the full amount. At this time the wedding is still on. She decides she is too young to get married but will still move with him to CO where his is based. So when he leaves I give him 1000.00 to use when she comes out. Just in case they need extra money for rent, etc. Well, now it is over and she never went to CO. He has asked for the rings back and I said when I get my 1000.00 you can have them. He claims to have given my daughter money for me but never told me he gave it to her. She admits he gave her money but he told her to use it to help pay her bills. Never once did he tell her it was to repay the loan. He is now threatening to take me to court over the rings. He has his. I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble to fight or just lose the 1000.00? I could use any advice anyone has to offer.

JETX

amygee01 said:
Upon his arrival here, he paid me the full amount. He has asked for the rings back and I said when I get my 1000.00 you can have them.
Sorry, but you have NO legal right to hold his rings as ransom for the return of money that you GAVE him.... especially since your daughter confirms that he gave HER the money.

He claims to have given my daughter money for me but never told me he gave it to her. She admits he gave her money but he told her to use it to help pay her bills.
Then your DAUGHTER got the money you meant for HER to have.

Never once did he tell her it was to repay the loan. He is now threatening to take me to court over the rings. He has his. I'm not sure if it is worth the trouble to fight or just lose the 1000.00? I could use any advice anyone has to offer.
Based on your post, the rings are his.... and you have no LEGAL right to withold them. Return them and get a receipt. Put this behind you... and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">