• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can boss fire me for being friends with co-worker?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bella11356

What is the name of your state? Texas

My boss recently asked me to give me two weeks becuase he said i was a distraction for another co-worker. I believe my boss is making assumptions about my relationship with this other person. We are strictly only friends, but becuase this guy is married, i believe my boss is assuming there is more going on there. He said he personally didnt like it and used the term " tired of seeing this." But never did he say anything about work performance, guest complaints, or anything of that nature. I believe this is a personal problem between me and my boss. My friend and I have never gotten in trouble for anything of this nature before and i am in perfect standing with this company...if i dont give him notice of my two weeks, i think he'll try to fire me. Can he do this??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, he can. Even if you are 100% correct about what he is assuming and even assuming he is 100% wrong, asking you to resign or firing you because of it is not illegal.

Bella11356

rmet4nzkx said:
They don't need a reason to fire you.
Perhaps you should act more professionally at work.
perhaps you shouldnt be so rude in your responce. all you needed to say was the first part, thanks.
And considereing work is a bar and grill... "professionalism" isnt wide spread

HomeGuru

Bella11356 said:
perhaps you shouldnt be so rude in your responce. all you needed to say was the first part, thanks.

**A: and tone down so the workers and customers don't think you are wide spread.

Last edited:

pattytx

Professionalism is never out of order. You will distinguish yourself from the others, especially if it is not "wide-spread" in your workplace.

K

katrinagardener

Don't let your boss intimidate you!

Bella11356 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

My boss recently asked me to give me two weeks becuase he said i was a distraction for another co-worker. I believe my boss is making assumptions about my relationship with this other person. We are strictly only friends, but becuase this guy is married, i believe my boss is assuming there is more going on there. He said he personally didnt like it and used the term " tired of seeing this." But never did he say anything about work performance, guest complaints, or anything of that nature. I believe this is a personal problem between me and my boss. My friend and I have never gotten in trouble for anything of this nature before and i am in perfect standing with this company...if i dont give him notice of my two weeks, i think he'll try to fire me. Can he do this??
Let your boss fire you! You can collect unemployment until you can find another job! Do not quit, otherwise you will more than likely not quailify for unemployment benefits!

I am sorry to read about your problem.

Here is a web-site that may be useful!

http://www.workrights.org/action.html

It seems that the USA is way behind the rest of the World excluding Third World Countries, when it comes to what employers can do to employees in the Work Force! This archaic system needs to go by the wayside!

Good Luck! :)

HomeGuru said:
**A: and tone down so the workers and customers don't think you are wide spread.
OMFG that is the funniest response I have seen yet! You made me sneeze out a little bit of coffee.

nicolerivera

Bella11356 said:

I am sorry. It is legal, but quite unfair don't you think? Good luck and feel free to email me if you need to chat.

Bella11356

i'm so thrilled that ya'll find other peoples problems humorous, the majority of you dont give good advice, and are rude. If your not going to post an answer to my question, then dont reply at all.

rmet4nzkx

Bella11356 said:
i'm so thrilled that ya'll find other peoples problems humorous, the majority of you dont give good advice, and are rude. If your not going to post an answer to my question, then dont reply at all.
I also answered your question, I merely added that you should be more professional at work, that is common sense, not rude, advice that is lost on you apparently. You do realize that sexual harasment charges may be brought against women also and by 3rd parties as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">