• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help in debt due to ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scorpio1079

What is the name of your state? California

I was living with my boyfriend from oct 2003 to oct 2004. During that time i added him on two of my credit cards as an authorized user. he used the credit cards sometimes to buy things for the apartment and somethings for himself. We also bought things together such as a computer and other things. We broke up and I moved out. I asked for some of the things back and he said that he did not want to give them to me. He threatend me that he would brake the computer in order for me to have it. I told him not to break it and he said told me he would pay me for it. the computer cost over 1,200.00. When I moved out i gave him a copy of the credit card statements with all the things that he purchased and that he kept after i moved out he said he would pay me for them. The last time i spoke with him about this was back in january of this year. since then I called him and wrote him e-mails asking him about it and he since has not returned my phone calls or answered my e-mails. He owes me over 5,000.00 I do not want to take this as a loss because i am stuck paying for all the things that he kept. what can i do. and would it be worth it taking him to small claims.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

scorpio1079 said:

I was living with my boyfriend from oct 2003 to oct 2004. During that time i added him on two of my credit cards as an authorized user. he used the credit cards sometimes to buy things for the apartment and somethings for himself. We also bought things together such as a computer and other things. We broke up and I moved out. I asked for some of the things back and he said that he did not want to give them to me. He threatend me that he would brake the computer in order for me to have it. I told him not to break it and he said told me he would pay me for it. the computer cost over 1,200.00. When I moved out i gave him a copy of the credit card statements with all the things that he purchased and that he kept after i moved out he said he would pay me for them. The last time i spoke with him about this was back in january of this year. since then I called him and wrote him e-mails asking him about it and he since has not returned my phone calls or answered my e-mails. He owes me over 5,000.00 I do not want to take this as a loss because i am stuck paying for all the things that he kept. what can i do. and would it be worth it taking him to small claims.

My response:

It's all on your shoulders. You blew it. Judges do not unravel or figure out or take the time for, boyfriend/girlfriend relationships. This is why California has marital laws. There is no way to tell if you gifted these things to him, or whether he promised to repay you. But, it doesn't matter - - like I said, judges don't unravel these types of relationships.

IAAL

Maxthedog

scorpio1079 said:

First off, your are an idiot for living with your boyfriend. Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free. He got more than the milk in this case. Why do girls fall for this moving in thing? Make him marry you before moving in next time. Consider it an expensive lesson.

JETX

scorpio1079 said:
He owes me over 5,000.00 I do not want to take this as a loss because i am stuck paying for all the things that he kept. what can i do. and would it be worth it taking him to small claims.
You can certainly take him to small claims court. Whether it would be 'worth it' or not is entirely up to you.

Without a specific written agreement as to liability, ownership, etc., your chances are at best 50-50. And can go down considerably depending on what defense he offers in court.
You might be better just calling one of those TV 'judge shows' and seeing if they have any interest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">