• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unjust termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rebecca Farrell

What is the name of your state? Illinlois

I am a nurse. While Dr was on vacation I ordered an antibiotic for a patient. Even though Dr. and I had a verbal understanding that this was the proper treatment, the clinic manager terminated me saying I was practicing medicine without a license. When this incident was brought to her attention (by the receptionist) the Dr. was back and had already signed the order. He was furious and even went to the president of the affiliated hospital. Do I have just cause to seek legal justification in the matter?

S

shell007

An antibioic is not considered a " controlled substance". Was this an ongoing treatment plan for the patient?

K

katrinagardener

You could lose your nursing license!

You are worried about losing your job? You could lose your nursing license if you get reported to the State Board of Nursing for practicing medicine! You are not a Doc! OR even a NP!

BelizeBreeze

shellandty said:
An antibioic is not considered a " controlled substance". Was this an ongoing treatment plan for the patient?
And again, you are NOT qualified to even ask such a question. An antibiotic or not, she dispensed medication to a patient without a medical license.

The statutory definition of "professional nursing" excludes the act of prescribing therapeutic or corrective measures, which acts are properly performed only by physicians licensed in Illinois (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1981, ch. 111, par. 3405(1)).

it also specifically includes the "administration of medications and treatments as prescribed by a licensed physician" (Ill. Rev. Stat. 1981, ch. 111, par. 3405(1)(c)). The Pharmacy Practice Act defines "prescription" to include "any order for drugs or medical devices, written or verbal by a physician." (Emphasis added.) Ill. Rev. Stat. 1981, ch. 111, par. 4003(e).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do I have just cause to seek legal justification in the matter?

No. You don't. Firing you was entirely legal and justified. I'd have been astounded if they did anything else.

Good luck getting a new job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">