• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Profit organization Ballot requirement in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atkannan

What is the name of your state?
Texas.

I am a member of a non profit organization in Houston, TX.

Board members of the non profit organization wants to change the bylaw and have personal interest in changing so that they get benefited.

Board is bringing up a resolution next week. In order to pass the resolution according to the non profit bylaw 66.6% votes required. Board wrote 5 page separate write up why they want all members to vote FOR the resolution and mailed it to all members along with the ballot to vote and mail them back.

In the ballot itself along with the resolution board requested members to vote
'FOR' the resolution. Ballot also contains Name Address and all other member details.

The same resolution has failed couple of times earlier. Board members can get the details of those who voted against it. Board has a history of treating bad who voted against the resolution.

My questions are

1) Does the texas non profit law allows the board to request members vote 'FOR' the resolution in the Ballot itself?

2) Does the texas allow non profit organization to have members personal details in ballot itself?

There is no information in the non profit organization bylaw what to be there in a ballot? So it becomes Texas general non profit rule.

Please reply my questions. I am tryiny to see if it is possible to legally invalidate the ballot since it does not keep the sanctity of voting and I think a ballot forcing members to accept is not correct.

Replies with specific articles from Texas Non Profit Act on the election ballot requirements will be very much appriciated.

Thank you.

Regards,
Kannan

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">