• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

More money missing!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenny Olson

What is the name of your state? Michigan

This is an update from thread " needing help from buisness professionals"

After, the employee was reinstated, He tryed to make several attempts to talk with me about his termination. I refused to talk to him about it. This employee basicly was bregging to me about why he got his job back. Basicly talking down about the district manager.(who is two levels above me, I am a shift manager)

I have notified my boss as he advised me to do, if this employee mentions anything.( it went from being advised to write this employee up for unprofessional conduct to giving me permission to fire him to advising me to let them know, so they could write him up)

When I notified my boss about this, my boss told me to contact his boss,( the District Manager) because he did not want the story to change from one person to the other. He told me he did not want to get in the middle of it. Basicly he wanted me to directly tell the district manager.

Before I made the contact as advised... I had a situation occur at work again, with money. Needless to say that this same employee was working that night! What happened was when I slipped away to use the restroom, I came back and seen him ringing on my drawer that was in my name, (which was against policy) and my drawer ended up being short $10.00. I got written up for the missing money, not him.

So the next day, I did as I was told to do, and went to his boss, the district manager. She advised me to put all of this in writting. She also stated that if I got written up he needs to be written up as well!

I am almost positive that this employee had taken the money from the drawer, but I cannot prove it. Other then the obvious, that there has not been any other problems with money except the situation where he was terminated and then reinstated, and I happen to be the manager on duty that night when it occured.

Now, I am fearful of loosing my own job and I also feel that this employee thinks I was the cause of him being fired and trying to get even with me.

Any sugesstions here??????

Here is the previous thread I had posted about this. For clarification, and reference.....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Manager in a restraunt, where I have been involved in a situation where one of my employee's made a mistake involving money. Where he came up short. I notified my manager who terminated him in accordance with the money policy in the employee hand book.

I might want to add, that I have only been managing for less then a year. With that said I am still learning the ropes.

I was contacted by my district manager, wanting to know what procedures was taken and ect. I explained to her what procedures was taken. She wanted to know if I followed policy as far and handling the money. She told me that the former employee was "comming back on them" stating the proper proceures was not followed, and for all he knows I (the manager ) could have taken the money. I was told that he may need to be reinstated.

Needless to say there was a "meeting" where the regional and district managers decided to reinstate this employee.

In a recent manager's meeting, It was told that if he brings up anything with in context of what had happened. He is to be written up for unprofessional conduct. And that he has be talked to about this.

As far as the policy and proceedures they of course changed since this situation.

My concerned is.... if I know this employee well enough, he will create a situation where I will need to write him up. The problem with that is, I do not feel I fully understand this term unprofessional conduct and the laws that support this term. Something I should have some knowlege about, before hand.

Any "more" experinced buisness professionals out there that can help me gain some knowlege in this area, would be appeciated......Please reply

Jenny

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Document, document, document. Every litle thing. Date, time, full description of what happens.

You won't like this, but I don't have a problem with your being written up for the missing money. You were responsible for the drawer and it came up short. Even though you didn't take the money, you're still responsible for seeing that the drawer balances. Is there any way you can lock it or otherwise secure it against someone else getting into it? If so, I'd definitely do it.

jenny Olson

I do not have a problem with taking the responsibility for the money being missing for my drawer. However, He needed to be written up as well, and possibly the Assitant Manager that was on duty that night, and in charge. I notified the Assitant that I was going to the bathroom. The assistant allowed him to ring on my drawer. Yes, everone has the ability to lock out others from there drawer. Every Manager has a card to by pass that, even on another managers drawer.

Oh, I also wanted to add that I did as I was advised and write everything up and sent it to the District Manager. I have it all documented, I allways try to stay on top of that.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you had proof, I'd agree that he had to be written up as well. But you yourself admitted that while you believe (and I agree you have good reason to believe and it's overwhelmingly likely that he did) that he took the money, you can't prove it. Without proof anything more than a verbal warning is going to be problematic under the circumstances.

AT LEAST make sure you lock your drawer when you leave. If you are talking about an electronic card to unlock it, those can be traced and might provide the proof you need. They can tell which card was used.

jenny Olson

The Main issue here is that the Money policy was not being followed. By the employee, who got his job back due to the same situation.And knew not to do so. And by the Assistant Manager who was to change drawers or use his card to ring on my drawer while I was gone. It was the Assitant Managers responsiblity to assure the policy was being followed, since he was the one in charge that day. When My drawer was counted by the Assistant Manager, I was not right there counting it with him, which again was against the policy.
And yeah, I could see about the card use and unlocking of my drawer. Good point! Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Make sure you document all of that. Unfortunately, going against company policy does not violate any laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">