• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Zone Ticket in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aalfaro

What is the name of your state? Texas.

I was cited for traveling 28 in a 20MPH school zone. The officer clocked me while he was parked in a public driveway. Also, I was traveling westbound. When the officer clocked me, I had already passed the sign signaling the school zone for the east bound traffic; however, the end school zone sign going west wasnt posted until further down the road. I have two questions.

1. According to the manual on uniform traffic control devices, from the U.S. highway department, traffic signs must be uniform. Does that mean that when a school zone starts going in one direction it should end going in the opposite direction? (I hope that makes sense). I just feel like I was out of the school zone. It makes no sense to me that there are 2 different speed limits going in opposite directions on the same road. This is a two lane road with a turning lane in between.

2. Is it legal to park in a public driveway? If not, then the officer was committing an offense when he clocked me, so can his evidence be used against me?

Thanks.

Allison in Texas

seniorjudge

Q: According to the manual on uniform traffic control devices, from the U.S. highway department, traffic signs must be uniform. Does that mean that when a school zone starts going in one direction it should end going in the opposite direction? (I hope that makes sense). I just feel like I was out of the school zone. It makes no sense to me that there are 2 different speed limits going in opposite directions on the same road. This is a two lane road with a turning lane in between.

A: I am not sure what you are asking, but there should be a beginning and ending sign.

Q: Is it legal to park in a public driveway? If not, then the officer was committing an offense when he clocked me, so can his evidence be used against me?

A: The officer did nothing wrong.

JETX

aalfaro said:
According to the manual on uniform traffic control devices, from the U.S. highway department, traffic signs must be uniform. Does that mean that when a school zone starts going in one direction it should end going in the opposite direction? (I hope that makes sense). I just feel like I was out of the school zone. It makes no sense to me that there are 2 different speed limits going in opposite directions on the same road. This is a two lane road with a turning lane in between.
If you were not pass the 'End School Zone" sign in YOUR direction of travel, you were still IN the school zone. It makes no difference on the location of the start or end of the school zone for traffic traveling in the other direction or on other streets.
BTW, the requirement for 'uniform' signs only means that signs must look alike. It has nothing to do with where signs are placed..... and even if it did, it would NOT apply to local school zones (or anything else not placed on a federal highway!.

Is it legal to park in a public driveway? If not, then the officer was committing an offense when he clocked me, so can his evidence be used against me?
Perfectly legal. In fact, placement of the officer on private property is not allowed in some areas.

Darlin', looks like you are caught on this one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">