• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they ask what medications you take at a job interview?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iron worker

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New Jersey

I was interviewing for a truck driving job recently and the person doing the interview asked me if I am on any medications and what for. I told her I have high blood pressure and take medication for it. (I passed the DOT physical and showed her the card saying so) She then asked me for the name of the specific medications I am on. This was 10 days ago and I haven't heard from this company since and they still have help wanted ads in the newspaper.

I have two questions:

1. Is it illegal for an interviewer to ask if you are on any medications?

2. Can they refuse me employment soley on the fact that I am on medication?

Thank you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) It depends on how the subject comes up, but the circumstances you describe do violate the law.

2.) No, but they can refuse to hire you for reasons unrelated to your medications. What proof do you have that you were not hired BECAUSE OF your medications?

So cbg would you recommend that this person contact the hiring company and get a written declaration or some form of tangible proof as to why they weren't hired? Would be nice to have on paper that company X feels that you couldn't handle the position because of medical reason Y.

seniorjudge

EvilWizard said:
So cbg would you recommend that this person contact the hiring company and get a written declaration or some form of tangible proof as to why they weren't hired? Would be nice to have on paper that company X feels that you couldn't handle the position because of medical reason Y.
I've never heard of "non-employment" letters; is there such a critter?

I have actually gotten letters and phone calls in the past with the basic "Thanks for interviewing with us, but unfortunately you are not the right fit for us...blah blah blah..." But to be honest they were fairly generic. Speaking to the person(s) who interviewed you and taping them (if legal to do so in your state without notifying the person they are being taped..) would be much more fruitful I would think.

I'm not sure if any of the states allow someone to tape record a conversation without the other party's notification/consent though.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not making any such recommendation. I am ASKING the poster what kind of evidence, other than the fact that they asked the questions at all, he has to indicate that his medications are the reason he was not hired.

They cannot refuse to hire him because of his medications; they are not required to hire him because of them either.

nicolerivera

iron worker said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?New Jersey

I was interviewing for a truck driving job recently and the person doing the interview asked me if I am on any medications and what for. I told her I have high blood pressure and take medication for it. (I passed the DOT physical and showed her the card saying so) She then asked me for the name of the specific medications I am on. This was 10 days ago and I haven't heard from this company since and they still have help wanted ads in the newspaper.

I have two questions:

1. Is it illegal for an interviewer to ask if you are on any medications?

2. Can they refuse me employment soley on the fact that I am on medication?

Thank you.

That's a bummer. Sorry about the job. The problem is that you don't have tangible proof that you were not hired due to medication. You were applying for a job as a Truck Driver, yes they can ask you about medications. Many medications have side affects that can impair your driving. I take medication that prohibits me from many occupations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">