• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bought a bad vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raolag

What is the name of your state? AZ

Bought a vehicle on saturday the guy said he was selling the vehicle for a friend. He was planning on selling the vehicle to someone on monday but would sell to us if we gave him cash now. We gave him cash and he said that that the car only had a broken CV joint and needed an alignment. Did the transaction and he said that he didn't have the title until monday but we could take the car.

Come monday(today) we take the car to get fixed and were informed that the vehicle was definetly in an accident and the frame was bent possible not repairable.

We only drafted a Bill of sale stating that the guy had the authority to sell the vehicle (listed the VIN) and stated that the vehicle needed to have a used free and clear title and listed the price. had it notorized and the guy didn't keep a copy. Is there anything we can do to get our money back.

teflon_jones

You bought a vehicle from somebody that insisted on cash immediately, and didn't have it inspected? Google "caveat emptor".

S

shell007

Yes there is something that you can do.

Go and get into your time capsule. Go back to the day you bought the car, ask the seller if you can go and get the car inspected BEFORE YOU BUY IT, find out there is damage, and then tell him you don't want to buy the car and then go look for another car.

I can't help it. As I said in a previous post. I've had it!! These posts are like train wrecks....you can't help but watch.

No mean to insult, hope you live and learn. :)

The only issues I can think of might not get your $ back, but might take this guy off the street temporarily. Many counties have sites for checking a person's criminal record at no charge, like mine in Riverside county CA. Check this guy's record if you can. Also, ZABA search is an awesome site you can use for tracking people down. Type in "ZABA" under google (its the first entry), and follow simple directions. I was able to find the address and # of the president of a billion $ company. Oh, and it's FREE.

If this was a stolen vehicle, even if it was ...not worth much, it was still stolen. Police departments are much more likely to have an interest if you do some of the footwork for them considering their large caseload.

A lot of this is going to depend on how much you invested, $1,000, $10,000, etc., too. Convincing the police that this is a CRIMINAL rather than a CIVIL case can definitely help.

listen to your inner dallas

For all of those potential car purchasers out there, please note dallas' rundown of tell-tale signs that you are about to be fleeced (preceeding post)

One of the best tricks they use is "Oh, look, if you aren't interested, I've already got a buyer lined up." This line is used to build anxiety to the point that you overlook OBVIOUS problems with the deal. Make a checklist and follow it, and you'll be a happier camper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">