• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court demanding ticket payment replacement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

somstudio

What is the name of your state? TX

I received a traffic ticket in 2002 and was just contacted today at work by the court to tell me that I still owed them for the ticket. They claim that when I sent in the payment (money order) and the defensive driving certificate that there was a trace of white powder on the envelope, and so they had the police seize the envelope and it's contents. (No kidding - this was when the anthrax scare was going on.) The court never picked up the envelope from the police department - or let me know so I could pick it up, and by now the police have destroyed it. So 3 1/2 years later, they are just now contacting me to tell me that they are going to issue a warrant for my arrest unless I pay this ticket again. I'm going to look at home tonight and see if I still have copies of everything. If so, I should be able to get the money order replaced and just give them a copy of the defensive driving certificate. I can't find anything, the defensive driving place said they will replace the certificate for $10.00; I would be out that money, plus an additional $60.00 according to the court. Is there a statute of limitations in Texas for tickets? Also, any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

somstudio said:
Is there a statute of limitations in Texas for tickets? Also, any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Look up "statute of limitations", then come back and tell us. Search here, as it has been asked a million times.

BelizeBreeze

poohmantbb said:
Look up "statute of limitations", then come back and tell us. Search here, as it has been asked a million times.
And that 'search' is irrelevant.

EIther pay the ticket which YOU have not paide, or have a warrent issued for your arrest.

THEN, once you pay your debt, you can search until you're blue in the face. It still won't change the outcome.

sukharev

sounds like paying up is a best option

BelizeBreeze said:
EIther pay the ticket which YOU have not paide, or have a warrent issued for your arrest.
Oh, BelizeBreeze, you are so trigger-happy you did not even read his post well. He said that court acknowledged that the it did receive the payment, and they almost never send you receipt back.

Given that it's $70 bucks only, I would advise to just suck it up and pay. You do have some options as to arguing that they received the payment once, but probably would fail anyway. Statute of limitations applies to crime committed, not the payment, which is indefinite (as you just found out). Another word of advice: if you haven't yet, next time send it by FedEx or UPS, so that the shipment is tracked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">