• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired no reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicolerivera

What is the name of your state? PA

I was fired for no reason on Aug 22. I had no warning, I didn't even get a termination letter. Just said goodbye? That can't be legal

My former boss is an attorney and she was on the board of the company I worked for, so she is the queen. She still talks to me, in fact we are working together again on a project with my new company. She gives me company information and uses her work email to communicate with me. That cannot possibly be legal?

seniorjudge

If you had no contract, then your employer can fire you for any reason or no reason.

The queen gets to talk about what she wants and use her e-mail however she wants.

I have read that every state except Montana is an "at will" state meaning that employment is presumed to be voluntary and indefinite for both employees and employers. As an at-will employee under the doctrine, you may quit your job whenever and for whatever reason you want, usually without consequence. In turn, at-will employers may terminate you whenever and for whatever reason they want, usually without consequence.

Either party may end the relationship without prior notice, but neither party may breach contracts. Employers cannot violate state or Federal laws, and generally cannot rightfully terminate employees who refuse to do something that is contrary to public policy and sound morality, such as breaking the law. But with these few exceptions aside, it's pretty much open season on employees year round.

nicolerivera

EvilWizard said:
I have read that every state except Montana is an "at will" state meaning that employment is presumed to be voluntary and indefinite for both employees and employers. As an at-will employee under the doctrine, you may quit your job whenever and for whatever reason you want, usually without consequence. In turn, at-will employers may terminate you whenever and for whatever reason they want, usually without consequence.

Either party may end the relationship without prior notice, but neither party may breach contracts. Employers cannot violate state or Federal laws, and generally cannot rightfully terminate employees who refuse to do something that is contrary to public policy and sound morality, such as breaking the law. But with these few exceptions aside, it's pretty much open season on employees year round.

Thank you very much. I am confused, If I am so horrible that she had to fire me, then why does she want to work with me again? Why does she accept my help, and ask me questions? I would terminate contact with me to salvage my pride. She needs therapy.

seniorjudge

Q: If I am so horrible that she had to fire me, then why does she want to work with me again?

A: Who said you were horrible?

Q: Why does she accept my help, and ask me questions?

A: She needs your help and wants answers.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To the best of my knowledge, no state requires that you must be given any kind of termination letter up front (though I've heard rumors that NY may have recently implemented such a requirement; I have not confirmed it if true). While a small handful of states require that ON YOUR WRITTEN REQUEST your employer provide you with what is called a "service letter" which gives the dates of your employment and the reason your employment ended, PA is not one of those states.

Evilwizard has summed it up reasonably correctly; every state except Montana is considered an at-will state, and even Montana is in some circumstances. In an at will state, you can quit at any time and for any reason, and you can be fired at any time and for any reason that does not violate the law.

Nothing in your post suggests that any laws have been violated.

K

katrinagardener

EvilWizard said:

http://www.workrights.org/action.html

You got that right about being open season on employee's.

Can you even begin to believe that the good ole USA is so far behind for bragging to be the most powerful Country in the entire world. Even European Countries do not treat their employees like the good ole USA! It is no wonder that President Bush incites riots when he visits other Countries to promote his free trade agreements. Look at how American owned Companies in Third World Counties treat their employees!

nicolerivera

katrinagardener said:

Can you even begin to believe that the good ole USA is so far behind for bragging to be the most powerful Country in the entire world. Even European Countries do not treat their employees like the good ole USA! It is no wonder that President Bush incites riots when he visits other Countries to promote his free trade agreements. Look at how American owned Companies in Third World Counties treat their employees!

Agreed! It's ridiculous the way we are treated. I feel like a fool, fire me and I still help you out.

anteater

katrinagardener said:

As a former manager in a corporate environment and now a small buisness employer.......

Just as soon as legislation is enacted that prevents employees from resigning at will, I will support legislation that restricts employers from firing at will.

Apples and Oranges. The US is a litigous society. We sue for every little thing that occurs and in my opinion if we didn't have the "at-will" laws then companies would be getting sued every single time someone got fired... We reap what we sew here in the US.

seniorjudge

...Even European Countries do not treat their employees like the good ole USA!....

The European Union allows workers up to two months off every year with pay. Who do you suppose pays for that?

K

katrinagardener

seniorjudge said:
...Even European Countries do not treat their employees like the good ole USA!....

The European Union allows workers up to two months off every year with pay. Who do you suppose pays for that?
Hey there Senior Judge,

I was not even talking about the EU! I have family in Europe and their employers do not even begin to treat their employees like the good ole USA! And their Countries are not members of the EU!

The last place I was employed at was like working in a Gulag! Of course you would not even begin to understand that!

The good ole USA is way behind the rest of the civilized world in the treatment of their employees! One only has to look at let's say Niike! How much does a pair of Nike shoes cost in US money? How much does Nike pay the poor poor people to manufacture these shoes outside of the USA, even though Nike is owned by US Corporation? Squat!!!!! It is sickening to me that not only does US Corporations treat their employees of Thirld World Countries in the manner that they do, but they also treat USA working class citizens in the same manner. It is all in the name of Corpoarate Greed and Money.

And Horray for the EU to give 2 months vacations a year! Maybe they are not greedy Corps like we have in the good ole USA!!!! :)

I'm not one for sweatshops, but from an economics standpoint lets take a look at this. Ok so Nike goes to Podunk, Thailand and opens up a sneaker factory. They hire people at $2 an hour to make shoes. This may seem like a very little, but is it little if the standard wage in that area is lets say $10 a month... We complain about their poor wages, but what happens when the Nike factory goes away? They make even less and hey maybe they even get to go into underage prostitution... And yes Nike does pay import costs on their sneakers. I read in Forbes that it is around $20 per pair...

I say move to the Third World country where your complaint is and work somewhere outside of one of the companies you loathe so much for not paying a high enough salary (btw you can't take a job that shows you have a formal education or experience so you can mimic the ppl working in the factory) See what you make per week and how you are treated as you shovel pig slop and then come back and complain about treatment at the big, bad Nike factory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">