• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not accepting cash is illegal, right?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

viper53928

What is the name of your state? Florida

My apartment complex says that it does not accept cash, but how can anyone not accept cash? Cash specifically states that it is for all debts public or private and as far as I have always known you must accept cash if you are a business. I understand that I cannot send cash in the mail to anyone, but if I go to the actual business and hand them cash they must accept it. My apartment complex said that I went over on my utilities and that I owe them $4.64 for the overage. Now I just got done giving them a check for $401 at the beginning of the month and now they give me a notice that I have to pay more. I am not going to waste a check nor am I going to spend money on getting a money order for only $4.64. Am I not correct when I say that legally my apartment complex must accept cash?

BelizeBreeze

If your apartment complex does NOT accept cash then buy a money order, write a check or move.

They are well within their rights.

Ron26

I used to live in Florida and the money orders are free...What's the big deal? If you don't like the rules then move, but do it the right way so you can be refunded any deposit that was made when you moved in..good luck :)

viper53928

In response

I would like my question answered and not criticism for asking it. I would like to know if businesses must accept cash, which is legal tender for all debts public and private. Also, money orders are not free in the area I live, unless I spend the gas money to travel to where they are free. This is a matter of principle, not a matter of how much I owe them.

viper53928

I found the answer

I found the answer to my question at "http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml#q1".

Question - I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer - The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

HomeGuru

BelizeBreeze said:
I agree. That's why I ALWAYS dry the ink before circulation ;)

**A: the new Cannon color copiers don't have wet ink problems. The $100 bills come out real clean and crisp. I love to smell the sheets while I am cutting the bills out.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
**A: the new Cannon color copiers don't have wet ink problems. The $100 bills come out real clean and crisp. I love to smell of the sheets while I am cutting the bills out.
Hey, thanks for sharing...I'll see how it works with $20s...

I have very low goals.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">