• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pecuniarly liable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dkruse

What is the name of your state? TX

I work for a council of governments and was recently told I had to sign a piece of paper that said I was "pecuniarily liable" for some equipment I had ordered for my department. Is this legal?

The form basically says that if it is lost or stolen or if through some negilgence on my part the equipment is damaged, I am financially responsible for it. Shock and awe.

Beth3

I couldn't locate anything completely on-point on this but I suspect this is a violation of Texas' Payday Law (Chapter 61 of the Texas Labor Code.) I suggest you give Texas' Department of Labor a call and see what they say about it.

JETX

dkruse said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I work for a council of governments and was recently told I had to sign a piece of paper that said I was "pecuniarily liable" for some equipment I had ordered for my department. Is this legal?

The form basically says that if it is lost or stolen or if through some negilgence on my part the equipment is damaged, I am financially responsible for it. Shock and awe.
Yep. It is absolutely legal. The simple matter is... you will be held liable for the loss or damage of the property that is assigned to you. Not uncommon at all.... and NOTHING to do with labor law.

Beth3

JETX, I'm not sure I agree with you. Many States expressly prohibit employers from holding employees accountable for lost or damaged equipment. The employer's recourse would be to sue the employee civilly if they felt the employee stole the item or was negligent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">