• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rehired after Wrongful Termination....question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Mississippi

I was wrongfully terminated for not calling in on a day that I was approved off. There was alot of untruths being told on behalf of my employer, which is just one site of a major corporation. Well, after I contacted the Corporate office I was rehired. So, for three weeks, I was without money and was unable to collect unemployment due to the year, quarters, and such.

My question is this....do I qualify to ask for back pay?

You are qualified to ask for backpay, but that doesn't mean they will give it to you. They may work a deal stating you get paid for those hours if you use leave you have accrued, but I'm thinking the company wouldn't legally have to pay you anything since you didn't work the hours.

Even if it was a mistake on the employers fault in firing you, you are in an at-will state and they can fire you for any non-discriminatory reason pretty much.

Beth3

ever_learning said:
What is the name of your state?Mississippi

I was wrongfully terminated for not calling in on a day that I was approved off. There was alot of untruths being told on behalf of my employer, which is just one site of a major corporation. Well, after I contacted the Corporate office I was rehired. So, for three weeks, I was without money and was unable to collect unemployment due to the year, quarters, and such.

My question is this....do I qualify to ask for back pay?
What you describe is not a wrongful (illegal) termination. Your employer voluntarily corrected their error and rehired you, which apparently was the right thing to do even if they weren't legally required to do so.

You can certainly ask your employer for the wages you would have earned during the time you were mistakenly terminated but you have no legal basis to insist they pay you if that's what you're asking.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nothing you have posted supports your allegation of wrongful termination.

Contrary to popular belief, a wrongful term does not mean that you were termed for something you didn't do. It means that the employer violated the law by terminating you.

You are free to ask for back pay. Whether you receive it or not will be up to the employer; they are not required by law to give it to you unless so ordered by the courts.

Beth3

Yeah but...I just discovered she has another post and that it's likely the real reason her boss fired her is because she was avoiding his advances.

ever_learning, this is why it's always best to just have ONE post with all the pertinent information, even if you have multiple questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">