• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he sue me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamhunt

What is the name of your state? North Carolina
I purchased a Toyota Avalon in January of 2002. I got it from a used car dealership. The car looked to be in great shape even though there had been some front end work done on it. The dealer told me that it had a clear title and also the bank did finance the car because the title of the car was not branded salvaged. Furthermore, the dealer never said that the car had a salvaged title and I surely did not sign any papers saying I was aware of the car being salvaged. I enjoyed the car for over three years and never had any problems out of it. However, this September I took the car into another dealer for a trade in. The dealer asked me if the car had a clear title. I told the dealer yes because the prior dealer told me it was a clear title. Also the title for the vehicle was not branded in anyway. The dealer took it as a trade in and I was on my way. About 1 month later the dealer called and said that when he sold the car to another dealer that he ran into some complications
because the car actually had a salvaged history. I told him that I was not aware of this because I had no problems with the bank and also the previous dealer did not inform me of the salvaged history. The dealer that I traded it into now wants me to sue the first dealer for not revealing that the car was salvaged. I told him that I was not interested in getting into such a mess and that he could sue the previous dealer if he wanted to. I believe that I have no liability in this matter due to the fact that I had no prior knowledge of the vehicle being salvaged and furthermore the title was not branded. Does the dealer that I traded with have any grounds to stand on in so much that he can sue me. I told him that I was happy with the car that I now have and that he could do with the Toyota as he pleased. Am I liable in this situation?

Last edited:

jamhunt

The dealer is trying to strong arm me now. They even said that they will be sending something in the mail to me. I wonder what they will send. Probably something that says they will sue and it will cost me lots of money if I don't agree to buy the car back from them. I'm not going to buckle in though. This is a no win case for them if they try to take me to court considering the situation as I described. Right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">