• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my boss dock my paycheck for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heywoodwc

Can my boss dock my pay for this?

At my new job at an insurance agency in KC, MO, a customer's money order and receipt disappeared somewhere between the desk where the money was paid and the boss's bank deposit. Made Pay-to-the-order-of the company, it didn't show up in the receipts for the day and the customer, of course, denies having picked it back up. I believe I handed it to my boss, who says if I HAD given it to him, he would have it, even though other employees roll their eyes and say "Never HAND anything to him. Put it in the drawer yourself."

The problem is my boss says he is holding the $150.00 out of my check because its loss was my mistake. Being held financially responsible for an expensive error that may not have been mine seems more than "unfair." It must surely be illegal. Can he do it?

[Edited by heywoodwc on 11-26-2000 at 06:41 PM]

L

LadyBlu

Re: Can my boss dock my pay for this?

heywoodwc said:
At my new job at an insurance agency in KC, MO, a customer's money order and receipt disappeared somewhere between the desk where the money was paid and the boss's bank deposit. Made Pay-to-the-order-of the company, it didn't show up in the receipts for the day and the customer, of course, denies having picked it back up. I believe I handed it to my boss, who says if I HAD given it to him, he would have it, even though other employees roll their eyes and say "Never HAND anything to him. Put it in the drawer yourself."

The problem is my boss says he is holding the $150.00 out of my check because its loss was my mistake. Being held financially responsible for an expensive error that may not have been mine seems more than "unfair." It must surely be illegal. Can he do it?

[Edited by heywoodwc on 11-26-2000 at 06:41 PM]

You will probably have better luck having this answered on the topic of hiring, firing, discrimination... as this is more for on the job injury type questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">