• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paid administrative leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maggie2005

What is the name of your state? California

About 9 weeks ago I was put on paid admin leave due to an allegation made by an inmate. ( I work in the correctional field and the allegations are introduction of contraband and sex for money). I was called in by investigations (OIG), questioned and intimidated and told they would check my phone records, bank records etc. I told them go ahead since I had done nothing wrong. They said I could make the investigation go away right now by resigning. I told them that is out of the question since I did not do anything wrong. I was just curious if anyone else went thru a simular situation. What it is taking so long? What should I make of all this? Why are they taking an inmates word over mine? I can't even get an attorney involved because right now they are just allegations and no charges filed. One would think after 9 weeks they would do something? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

pattytx

It does seem like a long time, but there is no law specifying a maximum time, especially since you are still receiving your salary. Have you contacted HR about the status? What do they say?

Stash the extra money you would spend on lunches, commute, child care, etc. just in case. Or, do all those things on the "honey-do" list.

maggie2005

pattytx said:
It does seem like a long time, but there is no law specifying a maximum time, especially since you are still receiving your salary. Have you contacted HR about the status? What do they say?

Stash the extra money you would spend on lunches, commute, child care, etc. just in case. Or, do all those things on the "honey-do" list.
Thank you for your reply. I did talk to HR several times and they keep telling me it is still pending and they are still looking. I told them go ahead and look. They are probably looking back into my teenage years. Ouch, they might find some bad behavior there. All the things on my honey-do list are done, and then some. After all it's been 9 weeks. I just feel like I need to move on, but at the same time I want to clear my name.

enjay

IG and/or Internal Affairs investigations take a long time. If they are looking to remove you from service, they will make sure they have a solid case. The positive side of that is that without a strong case you will be returned to work. At this point you have no recourse as you are not entitled to legal representation during an administrative investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">