• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cruisin' for a bruisin'

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

e021737

What is the name of your state? AZ

My fiancé and I recently took a cruise on Carnival cruises. The experience left us with the resolve to never take another cruise with Carnival. We incurred some expenses as a result of the actions taken by Carnival upon returning to the Port of Miami. They refused to honor and accept vouchers that we’d paid for to take a bus from the Port back to the airport. The resulting expenses include the unused voucher, hotel, rental car, gasoline and meals for which we are seeking restitution from Carnival. A letter has been sent to Carnival, the Miami Better Business Bureau and the Florida Attorney General’s office.

In the event those actions don’t produce satisfactory results, small claims court is also being considered. The twist is that the appropriate small claims court is in Miami, FL and we live in Phoenix, AZ.

Q: Can you file small claims in a state if you don’t reside there?

Q: If the case went to court, would it be necessary to physically appear in court in Miami?

Q: Can the small claims action be filed in the state of AZ for a company operating out of state?

BelizeBreeze

e021737 said:
Q: Can you file small claims in a state if you don’t reside there?
Sure I can ....after all, anyone can sue anyone for just about anything.
By the way, YOU can also sue them. Whether or not you prevail depends on facts you forgot to mention.
Q: If the case went to court, would it be necessary to physically appear in court in Miami?
Don't take this wrong, but that is the most idiotic question I have heard on these forums. Yes you have to appear unless you don't really want to win.
Q: Can the small claims action be filed in the state of AZ for a company operating out of state?
Sure it can be. And it can also be dismissed. The action took place in Florida correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">