• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failure to Stop-Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mterry1010

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I rear-ended a SUV in a left hand turn lane who started her forward motion to go through the light and then immediately slammed on her brakes because she wasn't sure if the light turned green. Because it is a busy intersection, you have to pull bumper to bumper to fit all the left turners in the lane. She admitted her fault to the officer. Her car received no damage but my grill hit her bumper causing my car to crumple(safety feature). I was given the ticket and got the ruined car. Do I have a chance to fight the ticket? The officer says he is required to give the rear-ender the ticket, eventhough he agreed it was unavoidable due to her indecision. :confused:

S

shell007

She was acting cautiously. That's responsible driving.

You were not paying attention and blasted her rear-end. Rules say: Keep a safe distance from the vehicle infront of you and you did not.

You got the ticket. Your at fault.

Everyone makes mistakes. No one meant for there to be an accident.....but there was. Own it!!!!

sukharev

go to court

What a bummer, I feel sorry for you.

Theoretically, you can go to court, explain the case to the judge and maybe get it dismissed. Chances are slim, but if you are the first in line judges are fresh and pretty much flip a coin when making their decision. I've seen many such tickets in NJ (not Michigan) dismissed, just because a driver showed up.

shellandty, nobody is perfect, people make mistakes. FYI only certain jurisdictions give tickets for such accidents (fender-benders). In most places this is considered as unavoidable fact of life, and not a moving violation. Insurance hike is enough punishment.

S

shell007

Obviously you yourself has rear-ended someone in the past, and have never been on the receiving end of it.

Sure people make mistakes. No one says they want to get into an accident on purpose.

Fact of the matter is.....when you rear-end someone, It's your fault. She was given a ticket, and that's that!!

sukharev

give it a rest

shellandty said:
Obviously you yourself has rear-ended someone in the past, and have never been on the receiving end of it.
I have been on both ends of this, and more than once. yes, it hurts like hell every time, does not matter if you were at fault. So give it a rest, will ya. If you have a good advice, go ahead and give it, if you don't then don't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">