• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend threatens to take to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thelonegranger

I need some advice. Recently my girlfriend and I split up and she is threatening to sue me. We had an oral agreement that I would pay her 500.00 dollars and do repair work to her house in exchange for a vehicle that she was selling. I paid her 200.00 dollars and did the repair work before we split up. Now , she says that instead of 300.00 dollars that I owe her 600.00 dollars. Our deal was never for 800.00 dollars , but she insists that is what I owe her. I have a bill of sale that states the car was sold to me for 500.00 dollars and the title of the car is in my name.I have offered to pay her the 300.00 dollars that I owe her , but she has refused to take it. I don't want to end up being bitter enemies over this but I do not believe that I owe her more than the 300.00 dollars. What is my recourse in this? [email protected] Greenwood,SC

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

thelonegranger said:
I need some advice. Recently my girlfriend and I split up and she is threatening to sue me. We had an oral agreement that I would pay her 500.00 dollars and do repair work to her house in exchange for a vehicle that she was selling. I paid her 200.00 dollars and did the repair work before we split up. Now , she says that instead of 300.00 dollars that I owe her 600.00 dollars. Our deal was never for 800.00 dollars , but she insists that is what I owe her. I have a bill of sale that states the car was sold to me for 500.00 dollars and the title of the car is in my name.I have offered to pay her the 300.00 dollars that I owe her , but she has refused to take it. I don't want to end up being bitter enemies over this but I do not believe that I owe her more than the 300.00 dollars. What is my recourse in this? [email protected] Greenwood,SC
My response:

I assume you can prove the $200.00 payment to her, correct?
Receipt? Cancelled check? Money order receipt? How?

In conjunction with your receipt, and your "bill of sale" showing the total sale price, she's out of luck for anything more than the $300.00 AND provided you can prove you did the work on her house.

If you can prove each of these elements, then you'll be okay.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">