• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how to beat photo radar every time!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gawm

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

About a decade ago i was in traffic school and the instructor told us at the end of the class he will tell us how to beat photo radar every time. It was a two day class so it made for some much needed excitement and anticipation.
When the time came for him to tell us no one really believed him. He said all you have to do throw it out. Don't call the number, don't go down there to compare the picture, just throw it out.( kind of like you would do with a jury duty notice) He said that if you don't sign anything when you get it,YOU NEVER GOT IT! He said they don't send them out with subpoenas because that would cost too much money and since the company that runs it is a private company not a state agency, they don't have access to the DMV so they can't suspend your license for ignoring it.
About four years later I ended up in traffic school again. I asked the instructor if that was true. She gave me a nasty look and abruptly changed the subject. This lead me to believe there might be something to this.
About two years ago there was this story on the news saying that if you ignore a photo radar citation they will send you a second one through a subpoena and tact on the cost of the sever to you whether you are found guilty of the violation or not. After that broadcast i was convinced it was true
About three days ago i caught up with an acquaintance and they were telling me they got nabbed on photo radar and the picture was clear as day...I proceeded to tell the above to the acquaintance and they say they heard the exact same thing but they have a friend who swears that isn't true by personal experience. So now i don't know what to believe.
My question is : 1:was this urban legend?
2: was it true at one time and did they change the rules?
I never received a ticket by photo radar to find out for myself. I'm really curious would appreciate any replies.

Last edited:

This is from 2002 so not sure if it is still current:

Ignoring The Letter
When you receive a general post letter advising you of your photo radar citation you have the option of just ignoring it. All states have guidelines on how the citation must be served.

Arizona Revised Statues, 28-1593 gives the state the following procedures on how they must serve you with the citation. They must issue the citation to you, in accordance with the Rules of Civil Procedure. The Arizona Rules of Civil Procedure (Rule 4(d) and 4(g)) state that they must personally deliver the citation to you or a competent member of your household. Also, a return must be filed with the court. The "return" is basically proof that you accepted summons.

Civil Procedure also states (4.1(c) allows service if you can waive your right of personal summons. You just need to sign the appropriate form, and that form becomes the return. In effect your payment or appearance at the courthouse, is your acceptance of service. By not responding to the letter you are refusing acceptance of service.

Pugilist

EvilWizard (what a handle!) is correct. You can ignore it if they mail it to you (just in Arizona). If you ignore it, they could try to serve you in person, and charge you for the cost of the service.

I am in the middle of reading a book about photo radar tickets, written by a lawyer in Arizona. It's called "Smile for the Speed Camera" and is by Susan Kayler. Your local library probably has a copy, but if not go to the book's website, photoradarlaw.com (I have no connection with the site or Kayler.)

By the way, for those Californians who are reading this, there is a bill in the CA legislature to bring photo radar to California. SB 466. If you don't want it here, call your state legislator and tell them so.

Pug

gawm

Pugilist said:
By the way, for those Californians who are reading this, there is a bill in the CA legislature to bring photo radar to California. SB 466. If you don't want it here, call your state legislator and tell them so.

Pug
I don't think that would work. They say it's a safety thing but it's really a money thing. If they think they can bring in a lot of revenue with it, there is no way you will be able to stop them from bringing it there!

jhellweg

This is a method for future avoidence. I'm sure this works in every state.

I live in Oregon, where photo raders are used constantly, for both speed and intersections.

Oregon requires front license plates, but I found an exception. If there is no bracket on the front for a plate, then it is not required. All cars in the US are outfitted for front plates, but many have removable brackets. I took my car to a body shop and had them remove the bracket and fill the holes (make sure you fill the holes because they are considered a mounting location).

Since then, I have been snapped by photo raders many many times, and never have I gotten a citation in the mail. They must have a picture of your face as well as the plate in order to issue a citation. Also, I have gotten mean looks, but never been pulled over for not having a front plate even in the window.

gawm

jhellweg said:
This is a method for future avoidence. I'm sure this works in every state.

I live in Oregon, where photo raders are used constantly, for both speed and intersections.

Oregon requires front license plates, but I found an exception. If there is no bracket on the front for a plate, then it is not required. All cars in the US are outfitted for front plates, but many have removable brackets. I took my car to a body shop and had them remove the bracket and fill the holes (make sure you fill the holes because they are considered a mounting location).

Since then, I have been snapped by photo raders many many times, and never have I gotten a citation in the mail. They must have a picture of your face as well as the plate in order to issue a citation. Also, I have gotten mean looks, but never been pulled over for not having a front plate even in the window.
In Arizona all we have is the back plate, so there are more than one set of cameras. One takes your picture in the front while the other takes the back plate simultaneously. I don't see why the set up would be any different in another state especially if there is a allowance for not having a front plate. Maybe the pictures were unidentifiable?

jhellweg said:
Oregon requires front license plates, but I found an exception. If there is no bracket on the front for a plate, then it is not required.

WRONG. Read up before telling bad advice.

jerrymac

I live in the Prescott area of Arizona - AZ - and they just started installing these photo radar units (mobile and stationary cameras) within the last year or so. I got a ticket - 36 mph in a 25 - last year. I hadn't done any research, so like a good boy I found a traffic school, went, paid my $130 (vs. $190 to pay the ticket outright) and avoided the points on my record, done deal.

Well, tonight, coming home from dinner, wasn't really paying attention, GOTCHA! Saw that thing go off, looked down, my speedometer says 65 - in a 55 zone - one, yes ONE mph over the first 9 mph they'll "give" you (i.e., if I'd been going 64, it would not have taken my picture.) :mad:

So, what to do now?!? I know it's way too soon to take traffic school again. Since my ticket last year, I've been hearing - locally, through friends, acquaintances, etc., and now online, through these forums - that I can simply ignore these things because they're not legally served. But I'm scared to death to do so, because what if it's really not true, or even if it is, what if they come and serve me, and it winds up costing me even more?!? :eek:

I'm beginning to see how unfair this whole thing is. I'm a middle-aged guy, and a law-abiding citizen. I don't drive like a crazy teenager anymore, although I once did (like most of us) to the point of even getting my license suspended. That did it for me - I learned my lesson - and that was in my early 20's! I've driven very conservatively ever since. In fact, that ticket last year was the first one in I-don't-know-how-long, and that's the honest truth.

I'd like to believe that I can just ignore the thing, and that will be the end of it, but what if it's not? :confused: Any advice, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

The Occultist

Firstly, it is inappropriate for one to necropost (revive a dead thread and post on it); you need to start your own thread with your question.

Secondly, even though your exact question has been answered numerous times (quite a few in the last week, as a matter of fact), I will ignore your laziness and answer your question: camera speeding tickets in the state of AZ are not enforceable and can be ignored.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">