• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired after background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjones702

What is the name of your state? New Yor

I was fired after two weeks of starting a job. I left a job to start a new job, I filled out all of the paperwork and was given a green light from my agency. Two weeks after I started, I was told the company was doing there own check. I was suspended for two weeks and then let go. Do I have any legal repercussions? I now have no job at all.

cjones702

i went through an agency. the agency knew i had a current job. they gave me the green light and a start date. the company's background check was not done until i had been there for two weeks.

Beth3

Before you were hired were you told that a background check would be conducted as part of the employment process?

seniorjudge

katrinagardener said:
Welcome to the wonderful archaic world of "at will employment."

Here is a website that you may find useful.

http://www.workrights.org/issue_discharge/wd_legislative_brief.html

I am sorry to read about your situation.

Good Luck!

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:

Doesn't such legislation interfere with an employer's right to manage its business?

An employer has a legitimate right to manage its business at it sees fit. That right, however, is not unlimited, and cannot be exercised in a manner which denies fundamental American values.

Employers do not have the right to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or age in employment decisions. They should not have the right to fire workers without a legitimate reason.

Oh, brother....

K

katrinagardener

Ah Brother Judge....

seniorjudge said:

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:

Doesn't such legislation interfere with an employer's right to manage its business?

An employer has a legitimate right to manage its business at it sees fit. That right, however, is not unlimited, and cannot be exercised in a manner which denies fundamental American values.

Employers do not have the right to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, or age in employment decisions. They should not have the right to fire workers without a legitimate reason.

Employees also have rights. Forget about all that bull about race, sex, whistleblowers etc....Everybody knows that.

The "at will employee" doctrine is going by the wayside! And none too fast!

"OH Brother"

BelizeBreeze

read the post again.

THis is a consultant. THerefor, the company did not fire him/her. They told his consulting firm they did not want him.

Now, the answer is?????? :rolleyes:

K

katrinagardener

BelizeBreezeBaby!

You got an axe to grind against woman? I truly find your "SIG" demeaning, and therefore question your abilities to answer legal question when it involves children, divorce, custody, etc....

As an afterthought what are your thoughts on women in the workplace? Hire and fire as "the at-will employment" doctrine allows!

The following is a Belize Breeze quote......

"Why don't women say what they mean, instead of speaking in code? "It's okay if we stay in", means "Let's go out." "I love you the way you are." means, "I can change you." And if you hear "Do you think this outfit makes me look fat," it means "Lie to me or sleep alone for the rest of your life."

TCASWFL

I doubt at will employment will just go away. You do realize that at will works both ways for the employer as well as the employee. If you idea were to pass then would it be illegal for an employee to just up and quit their job an leave their employer short handed without a bona fide justifiable reason?

If I as an employer were unable to fire employees for some of the reason listed in the web site you posted I would never be able to get 1/2 the staff to come into work on time. Without the fear of loosing their job they would all just say that they had some civic duty or other excuse they had to take care of.

K

katrinagardener

Disagree!

TCASWFL said:
I doubt at will employment will just go away. You do realize that at will works both ways for the employer as well as the employee. If you idea were to pass then would it be illegal for an employee to just up and quit their job an leave their employer short handed without a bona fide justifiable reason?

If I as an employer were unable to fire employees for some of the reason listed in the web site you posted I would never be able to get 1/2 the staff to come into work on time. Without the fear of loosing their job they would all just say that they had some civic duty or other excuse they had to take care of.

Most employers require a two-week notice or even a month's notice when an employee resigns. An employer can terminate an employee right on the spot. Not fair and equitable unless an employee has done something so deranged! Which is not the case in most "at will employee" terminations.

Not fair by any means!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
We outlawed slavery in this country quite some time ago. No employer can require an employee to work one minute longer than they choose to. While an employer can REQUEST two weeks or a months notice, and they can even state it as a requirement, if the employee chooses to flout that and leave immediately, nothing in the law, including employment at will, can stop him.

K

katrinagardener

C'mon CBG

cbg said:
We outlawed slavery in this country quite some time ago. No employer can require an employee to work one minute longer than they choose to. While an employer can REQUEST two weeks or a months notice, and they can even state it as a requirement, if the employee chooses to flout that and leave immediately, nothing in the law, including employment at will, can stop him.
C'Mon CBg,

You know full well when seeking a new employee for employment at your company, you would seek a future employee that gave the required amount of notice. When an employee gives their notice to a company, business or whatever that shows loyalty.

C'monCBG, just admit that a future employee has much more of a chance at employment with a future job by giving the specified amount of time to terminate their employment.

Now, what about the employee that is terminated with no advance notice of two weeks or a month.

The employer has advance notice that an employee is leaving by giving notice. An employee has no such notice! Not fair!

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Katrina, do you enjoy letting your ignorance grow?

Please post here any state, local or federal statute or regulation that requires any notice on any party to either quit or be terminated.

And as for my sig, that's none of your business.

K

katrinagardener

BelizeBreeze said:
Katrina, do you enjoy letting your ignorance grow?

Please post here any state, local or federal statute or regulation that requires any notice on any party to either quit or be terminated.

And as for my sig, that's none of your business.

Isn't it great to live in the USA? Freedom of Speech? Gotta at least love that part?

Your ''sig; is definitely a part of your freedoms. But, it is a reflection of you and your belief system. Scarey at least when it comes to your biased legal advice, to numerous unsuspecting people that seek this board in their quest for legal assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">