• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Workmen's comp and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sassys40

What is the name of your state?Missouri My husband just got back together from a year and ahalf of separation, and I believe that he agreed to getting back together because i am due to recieve a possible large sum of money due to being hurt on the job. The surgeries i had to have were done while we were separated and I wanted to know if after I get my settlement if he decides that he wants to file for divorce is he entitled to any of that money?
Thanks sassys40

seniorjudge

Q: after I get my settlement if he decides that he wants to file for divorce is he entitled to any of that money?

A: Not unless you give him the dough or put it in a joint account with him as the other owner.

dgodin77

Hmmmmm

Marrage is 50/50 right? If it were the other way around Im sure you would think "whats mine is yours and so forth"

sassys40

InsuranceLadyAZ said:
I am just curious - if you think he's only back with you because of the settlement, why did you take him back?
A the time i did not think that...he was all nice and said that he wanted to try again...and then he started doing alot of web cab disguesting things on the interent and I found out that he has been having affair...he never even mentioned the settlement until he started seeing the other woman and then he tried to up my life insurance policy a couple few thousand dollars..so kinda gave me the impression that it is because of the money at this point..my question again is it legally possible for him to get half of something that he never helped during the recovery and wasnt even there when i had the surgery...we were both living in different residence...trust me I am fully aware of the mistake that I made in moving back in with him..but i loved him and wanted to save my marriage..

sassys40

seniorjudge said:
Q: after I get my settlement if he decides that he wants to file for divorce is he entitled to any of that money?

A: Not unless you give him the dough or put it in a joint account with him as the other owner.
WEll I have no intentions of during that...but he has threatened me with the fact that we are marriend and what is mine is his...and what is his..well is his..

You don't have to give your husband any of your asset, unless that is what the judge ordered. There is nothing your husband can do if you spend all your money while you are married because it's perfectly legal to spend money that belongs to you.

Take a cue from Seniorjudge. Open up your own back account to accept this settlement so you will be in control.

Also, getting a divorce doesn't happen overnight, so why are you so worried about that far ahead? When you get your money, I hope you use some of it to move out and get a place of your own and then file for a divorce due to his adultry. Better start keeping evidences now for your case in case things gets ugly.

However, if you have no plans to move out...then what difference would all this make...hmmmmm Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">