• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

workmans comp or FMLA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pfwest

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? :confused:Washington
Last April I was injured at the job, been out of work for 8 weeks. Now I need surgery on my back, the place I work for is telling me if I would be out for more than 4 weeks I will lose my position. FMLA is only for 12 weeks and employer is telling me that workers comp is included in those 12 weeks. Is that right? My back is killing me, worked here for 23 years now.
Is workmans comp count against FMLA?

mlane58

Your employer is correct. FMLA and Workers Comp can run concurrently and again you are only protected for 12 weeks (under FMLA only)

tjr5150

Check with your state work comp laws first.
FMLA is used up first, then work comp kicks in..
True your employer does not have to hold your postion forever.

mlane58

FMLA is used up first, then work comp kicks in..
Can you tell us how you came up with that assumption.

Workers comp is income replacement and FMLA is a leave program, so kindly explain!

tjr5150

mlane58 said:
Can you tell us how you came up with that assumption.

Workers comp is income replacement and FMLA is a leave program, so kindly explain!
If an employee gets hurt and has sick days,vacation days or FMLA, the employer has the right to use these days up first..

zippysgoddess

And as you just said, they have the right to use those days, at their own option, but they are not REQUIRED to offer those.

mlane58 is correct, they do not have to hold your job any longer than 12 weeks. Though they still have to pay comp until you are able to work again, and they also must still cover your medical from the work injury.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">