• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsa2000

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have been an RN at a Nursing Home for the past 7 yrs. Recently I was fired from my position for not giving a medication. The medication was not clearly marked and I overlooked it. I was told I should have reported this at once to the Director of Nursing. I was not the one who found the med error. Another Nurse caught the mistake after I had left for the day. This is the first time in 7 yrs that I have made a med error. Over the past 6 to 8 months I have reported many med errors that have been made by other Nurses to the Director of Nursing and to the Administrator. Of all the Nurses that were reported by me were not fired in fact they all are still employed. While I was on suspension so they could investigate another Nurse made the same mistake that I made and she was not suspended or fired. Do I have a case for wrongful termination or is it a waste of my time?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the basis of what you have posted, you would be wasting your time.

This would not meet the legal definition of a wrongful term unless you have a valid and supportable reason to believe that you were fired and the other nurse not, BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin or other protected characteristic.

K

katrinagardener

mrsa2000 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have been an RN at a Nursing Home for the past 7 yrs. Recently I was fired from my position for not giving a medication. The medication was not clearly marked and I overlooked it. I was told I should have reported this at once to the Director of Nursing. I was not the one who found the med error. Another Nurse caught the mistake after I had left for the day. This is the first time in 7 yrs that I have made a med error. Over the past 6 to 8 months I have reported many med errors that have been made by other Nurses to the Director of Nursing and to the Administrator. Of all the Nurses that were reported by me were not fired in fact they all are still employed. While I was on suspension so they could investigate another Nurse made the same mistake that I made and she was not suspended or fired. Do I have a case for wrongful termination or is it a waste of my time?
MRSA 2000,

I love your screen name. :)

Secondly I am sorry to hear about your termination. Does your place of employment have a Union? Were you an "at will employee?"

What about an employee hand-book? Does it have disciplinary action for whatever in it?

Thirdly, Just because CBG, and Evil Wizard said what they said does not mean that you do not have a case.

I am not an attorney, but due to the advice that I received on this board from supposed "experts" I doubted what I was told by these "experts." And my doubts paid off. I am also a nurse. So, just because someone on here gave you their thoughts, don't let that stop you from seeking answers elsewhere.

"Wrongful Termination" is a very broad word.

Here is a site that may be useful:

http://www.workrights.org/issue_discharge/wd_legislative_brief.html

Good luck!

Last edited:
As CBG stated based on what she has posted it is a waste of time. If there was an employment contract guaranteeing employment for a fixed term of years, or guaranteeing not to fire without just cause then she has something.

But she didnt include that facts so based off of her OP it is a waste of time.

K

katrinagardener

EvilWizard said:
As CBG stated based on what she has posted it is a waste of time. If there was an employment contract guaranteeing employment for a fixed term of years, or guaranteeing not to fire without just cause then she has something.

But she didnt include that facts so based off of her OP it is a waste of time.
EvilWizard,

Where do you get all of your mis-information. So, now it is CBG that said what she said, instead of you. What are you a wannabe attorney?

In case you have forgot and just to enlighten you.....CBG is not an attorney. CBG works in HR for his/her company. And, may I remind you to spend some time researching this site, and see all the problems that employees have had with HR's. There is example after examples. Do you really believe when it comes right down to it that a HR would back the employee when their job is on the line? Not in any way shape or form, not saying anything negative about CBG, but she misled me!!!!!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, katrina, since you disagree, tell us what law the employer violated in terming the OP and what it is in her post that proves it.

And you would be amazed at how many employees I have backed against management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">