• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding & Insurance issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jep50

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ca.

My son got a ticket in placerville and was sited for not having proof of insurance. His fine was like 900.00. He didnt want me to get mad so he didnt tell me and has been making payments for over a year. If he had told me I would have been able to show that he did indeed have insurance and send them a copy. He still owes about 300.00 on it, is there anything I can do at this point to drop the non insurance charge against him. The speeding portion of the ticket was 210.00.

racer72

As soon as he accepted the payment plan, a guilty plea is automatic. Carole King had a big hit song many years ago that applies.

[ck] It's too late baby now its too late.....[/ck]

gawm

It won't hurt to put a motion in with the judge to see if the court will reduce the fine by how much he still owes. I once had a judge reduce a fine. It doesn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no.

sukharev

de-novo trial?

Check with the court, if de-novo trial is possible. It may be, if new evidence is uncovered after original trial (proof of insurance). Don't know if this is worth a shot, but you may not have any other options left (appeal time has passed).

Otherwise, pay $300 and forget about it (except for your son't insurance payments every year)

Pugilist

I agree with Gawm. I think that the case is not closed until all the money is paid off. So, the case still is open. I would go back in front of a judge and ask for ALL the money back. I would not casually throw away $600! The form, if any is required, MIGHT be "Bail forfeiture set aside, request for new trial."

Pug

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">