• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Compete....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buckle774

What is the name of your state?AZ

I am a mortgage broker and thinking about switching offices. A couple guys who run a mortgage company have put together a very nice package for me and another guy to come over to. Everything sounds awesome but he wants us to sign a non-compete agreement stating that if we quit there, we cannot work in the mortgage business for 9 months.
The reason the guy put this in place is because he was screwed over by two of his former employees and so he made everyone who was currently working, as well as anyone new to his company sign the documents. I am not sure if I feel compfortable signing this if in fact they wanted to get back at me for leaving on any sort of terms, they have a paper I signed that says I cannot work in the industry for 9 months. I have heard a lot about how it doesn't hold up in court and it is just a scare tactic but I was looking for some professional advice.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....Thank You

Beth3

The only person who can advise you on whether the non-compete you're being asked to sign is valid is an AZ attorney experienced in such matters. What constitutes an enforceable non-compete varies tremendously from State to State.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">