• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is Compelled Self Defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alleycatsvb

What is the name of your state?Florida. New at this, not sure why my earlier thread on this topic was closed??? What causes the close? Also someone mentioned this, Compelled Self Defamation, what does this mean? Thanks for any help, also would really like additional comments on my earlier posts on being terminated based on someones allegations that I am racist made after steps were taken to terminate him. Thank you

BelizeBreeze

alleycatsvb said:
What is the name of your state?Florida. New at this, not sure why my earlier thread on this topic was closed??? What causes the close? Also someone mentioned this, Compelled Self Defamation, what does this mean? Thanks for any help, also would really like additional comments on my earlier posts on being terminated based on someones allegations that I am racist made after steps were taken to terminate him. Thank you
I mentioned that and after careful study and reading case law, including your state statutes, it's not going to fly. That is why I suggest you tell HR that you want a letter of recommendation.

As for closing your thread, that was done by the administrator of this site.

Beth3

I'd not heard of self-defamation but here's an article I found on the web that explains it:

“Compelled Self-Publication Defamation” - a Potential New Cause of Action
Originally published: 8/4/2004

We have seen an increasing number of allegations by former employees asserting claims of defamation against their school district employers. Typically, such employees have alleged that the districts have published false statements regarding their dismissals. A number of states, however, have recognized a cause of action for defamation even where the former employer did not publish the alleged defamatory reason for the former employee’s dismissal. Instead, the discharged employee claimed in those cases to have been “compelled” by the former employer to repeat the defamatory reason given by the employer for the termination during the process of applying for a new job. Thus, under this theory, an employer can be held liable for defamation, even where it does not publish the allegedly false reason for the termination.

The courts have been far from unanimous in accepting “compelled self-publication defamation” as a cause of action. There have been some developments, however, that present good reason for a heightened concern on the part of New York school districts.

In one case, a downstate federal court, while noting that there is “scant law” on this issue, stated that “it seems reasonable to assume that the New York Court of Appeals would adopt the doctrine in a form that allowed for liability where, such as in the instant case, there was a high degree of compulsion that required the reporting of the defamatory matter.”

This case involved the New York City School District. There, the District sent the plaintiffs, who were transportation companies, a letter alleging certain acts of bribery. As part of the City’s bidding requirements, the plaintiffs were required to report such allegations of criminal misconduct on a questionnaire, which was then incorporated into a system that automatically would report those allegations concerning every subsequent contract bid by the plaintiffs. The Court found, based upon these facts and assuming that New York would adopt a cause of action for compelled self-publication, that the publication requirement for the tort of defamation was satisfied. In another case, a New York trial court also suggested that the doctrine of compelled self-publication should be recognized, especially given a situation where the alleged defamatory statement must be reported by the former employee.

So, recognizing that school districts might be confronted with this new tort, not only by former employees, but also by unsuccessful bidders, what should be done? We would suggest at least the following:

Districts should exercise reasonable care in stating the reasons for employee dismissals or the rejection of bids. Unnecessarily inflammatory or pejorative language should be avoided.

If a reason for an employee dismissal or bid rejection must be stated, a district should make every effort to provide an accurate statement characterizing its action, while avoiding unnecessary details underlying its reasons for acting.

Districts may also wish to examine their procedures for investigating employee misconduct and responsibility of bidders, so that new or additional procedures may be instituted to ensure that any reason given for either employment termination or disqualification of a bidder has a solid basis.

Formulating an appropriately tailored procedure for responding to inquiries from prospective employers, or other districts or entities seeking information concerning potential contractors, should also be high on districts’ lists of things to consider.
Particularly with respect to problematic dismissals, if a district makes any statement whatsoever, it may wish first to get the employee’s agreement to the exact wording to be used in such a statement. This is often accomplished by way of a separation or termination agreement with the employee as part of the consideration for a general release of claims.

Hodgson Russ LLP

alleycatsvb

Florida Again thanks for your advice belizebreeze. I am still having a very hard time understanding how something like this can happen. Thank you as well Beth, if you would not mind and had time and interest, I would appreciate your view opinion on my original post, fired because company fears racial discrimination problems, can't remember exact title, but it is alleycatsvb, the thread was closed but I don't know why. I have read some of your other opinions and they make a lot of sense. Thanks for any help, and I appreciate the very interesting article.

Beth3

You mean I stumped the old woman???? I have no idea because you surely can't be referring to me.

alleycatsvb

Florida From one old woman to another Beth, would you let me know what you think about my original problem Thanks so much!!

Beth3

alleycat, I'm not even close to being an old woman. :confused:

Anyway, here is your original post:

What is the name of your state?Question from Florida. I am a Property Manager for large corp. Long and successful 30 yr career Never had any problems. Took new job and began evaluating the current employees took steps to have head maint. man terminated due to poor performance, documented numerous examples of this over several weeks. I am a white woman, he is a black man. When he found out, he filed a compaint against me that I had racially discr.. against him by calling him a name. He made several inapp. comments to me, threatening, which I reported. During all this the company sold to larger corp. Today I was fired after HR came in from new owners and said they had 3 other black men on main. staff back up his story. They are all friends. This is absolutely untrue. They told me it had nothing to do with my performance it was that they could not take a chance of this man suing them. Told me they believed me but could not take a chance on being sued, also told me not to take it personally!!! I offered to take a polygraph, pay for them to take polygraph and had several people working for me, black and white, to speak on my behalf, that I have never behaved in a racist way or discriminated against anyone, they said no to all. I feel the man retaliated against me for taking steps to have him fired by filing this false charge, is there anything I can do??

An employee alleged you made inappropriate remarks. Other employees backed him up. Firing you because the employer believed that the weight of evidence was on the complaining employee's side was not unlawful. Nor was it unlawful to fire you because the employee was afraid of being sued it they didn't. It may have been terribly unfair but it was not a wrongful termination.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">