• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am i able to sue building owner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oiler1995

What is the name of your state?New York.I was installing cameras at a big residential building.My partner separated an extension ladder to make 2 ladders to get the job done quicker.I put half of the ladder up against the wall and climbed up the ladder to do work about 10 feet up.The ladder slipped out from under me causing me to fall straifgt down and severly shattering my left heel.The surgery required a plate and 15 screws to put my heel back together,this is a very serious injury,where i will never be 100% again and i won't be able to work doing trade jobs.I am wondering if i have a case against the building owner? Thanks.

mlane58

My partner separated an extension ladder to make 2 ladders to get the job done quicker.I put half of the ladder up against the wall and climbed up the ladder to do work about 10 feet up.
WHY! ------- because you and your partner created the unsafe work area by seperating the ladder into two.

Just another money hunry idiot!

Beth3

How was the building owner negligent? It was your partner who decided to separate the extension ladder into two.

Hey to give this guy credit at least he was honest up front. Most other ppl would have just said I fell off a ladder and left off that whole "split it in half" thing.

oiler1995

I know it was my co workers fault,i'm not saying that i want to sue,it was just a question,your the damn idiot.

mlane58

Well lets look back at your statement

i won't be able to work doing trade jobs.I am wondering if i have a case against the building owner?
Wanting to know if you have a case would certainly sound like you want to file a suit against the owner.

So I guess that makes you the idiot! and a money grubbing one at that.

You Are Guilty

Beth3 said:
Since the building owner did nothing negligent, you have no basis to sue him.
Unfortunately, NY law permits this type of suit. However, if the OP wants the details, he'll have to speak to a local attorney (of which there will unfortunately be plenty willing to take a case like this).

oiler1995

Thanks for that information,i have decided not to sue.It was my partners fault for seperating the extension ladder,and i should of known better not to get on that ladder without having the proper footing.It does not make sense that you can sue somebody when it is your fault,why can you only do this in NY?I guess i'm not that money hungry idiot after all.

You Are Guilty

NY has "special" rules when it comes to ladder accidents. I'm actually surprised you didn't have a flock of lawyers chaseing you home from the hospital.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">