• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Software Audit for Business?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jack2k3

What is the name of your state? CA

A friend of mine was telling me a business can have a software audit. Meaning, an auditor comes in to check that all software has been bought and licensed properly.

Is this true?

Can an employer be fined if employees put anything pirated on their personal computers in the office?

BelizeBreeze

jack2k3 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

A friend of mine was telling me a business can have a software audit. Meaning, an auditor comes in to check that all software has been bought and licensed properly.

Is this true?
Yep. Every word of it.
Can an employer be fined if employees put anything pirated on their personal computers in the office?
In a new york (or san fransisco) minute. And I've fired three in the past year.

jack2k3

Thanks for the reply.

Do the auditors drop by unannounced or give a date of visit?

(Yes I am new to this...)

It would be nice to have someone check every computer in the office a day or two before and "clean" anything illegal. It would be cheaper to hire someone to do this than pay fines for software piracy.

BelizeBreeze

jack2k3 said:
Thanks for the reply.

Do the auditors drop by unannounced or give a date of visit?

(Yes I am new to this...)

It would be nice to have someone check every computer in the office a day or two before and "clean" anything illegal. It would be cheaper to hire someone to do this than pay fines for software piracy.
you're kidding right? The auditors can either be from the company itself or from an outside agency and no, they do not send invitations.

As for cleaning your computer, I own a software company that audits large corporations with a client base of more than 100,000 in only three months. And we audit the computers each and every day without leaving our offices.

so, how about NOT installing illegal software?

jack2k3

I manage a young Web development company in a small office. We're not a big corporation who will have an internal investigator. So my concern is an outside agency.

We have purchased all our software that we use from Adobe, Macromedia, Microsoft, etc., and have the receipt, license, even the boxes.

I do not install anything illegal so I do not worry about my actions. I worry about other people's actions. I know a few of my partners have peer to peer programs on their computers, so I can imagine how that can be used.

Okay, a better question is how can installing illegal software be prevented? How can it determine it to be illegal and legal. Probably this is not the correct forum to inquire about this.

I'm sort of interested in learning more about this?

I live in Texas.

If I started my own small business and assuming I did not sign any contracts or liscenses with any software businesses would who if anyone would try to audit me, and if so under what authority?

Presumably if the real police came to my home or business I wouldnt be obligated to let them in unless they either had a warrent or pretty damn good probable cause.

So who exactly are these software police and why would I let them look at my computers.

BelizeBreeze

jack2k3 said:
I manage a young Web development company in a small office. We're not a big corporation who will have an internal investigator. So my concern is an outside agency.
Then it is your responsibility to keep your company in compliance. And if you find anyone has installed illegal software they cannot produce a license for, you need to take immediate steps to stop it. Or your company will pay the price.
We have purchased all our software that we use from Adobe, Macromedia, Microsoft, etc., and have the receipt, license, even the boxes.
Having, for example, a license for macromedia is not enough if you use MX or flashpaper or studio or any of the separate licensed products. But then, you should know that.
I do not install anything illegal so I do not worry about my actions. I worry about other people's actions. I know a few of my partners have peer to peer programs on their computers, so I can imagine how that can be used.
Then you should inform your partners they are playing with fire.
Okay, a better question is how can installing illegal software be prevented?
Yes and no. You can't stand over everyone 24/7 but you can have a policy that if anyone is found to have installed unlicensed full copies of illegal software they will be fired on the spot.
How can it determine it to be illegal and legal. Probably this is not the correct forum to inquire about this.
You can demand to see the license, the commercial box and a receipt or place that in your corporate policy. Or, as we have helped develop, a policy that no one is to install any software period. All software is to be under the care and control of one person, a change order issued for an upgrade and carried out by this person and each user sign a consent form signifying that the software was installed on a particular date and time.

BelizeBreeze

Jack_David said:
I'm sort of interested in learning more about this?

I live in Texas.

If I started my own small business and assuming I did not sign any contracts or liscenses with any software businesses would who if anyone would try to audit me, and if so under what authority?

Presumably if the real police came to my home or business I wouldnt be obligated to let them in unless they either had a warrent or pretty damn good probable cause.

So who exactly are these software police and why would I let them look at my computers.
THe only thing I will tell you is that when you install each piece of software you agree to abide by the license agreement. Also, MANY of the titles on your computer have a 'phone home' method to ascertain the validity of the license.

They will know if you ever connect to the internet. Also, when you visit your accountant each year, you will have to declare each software title if you ever hope to deduct it as a business expense and then you'll have to produce the receipt and license.

Guess what? It isn't that hard to catch the thieves.

BelizeBreeze said:
THe only thing I will tell you is that when you install each piece of software you agree to abide by the license agreement. Also, MANY of the titles on your computer have a 'phone home' method to ascertain the validity of the license.
Its been my general experience that people who download and use software without paying for it generally have less hassle than those that actually pay for it.

I.E. the whole windows XP registration thing. If you paid for it you had to register it and if you upgraded your computer then you might have to go through the hassle of getting it reactivated. People who downloaded the bootleg version of XP dont have to deal with that.

Also, when you visit your accountant each year, you will have to declare each software title if you ever hope to deduct it as a business expense and then you'll have to produce the receipt and license.
I guess if someone didnt pay for thier software then they just plain wouldnt or atleast shouldnt try to deduct it for tax purposes.

BelizeBreeze

Jack_David said:
Its been my general experience that people who download and use software without paying for it generally have less hassle than those that actually pay for it.

I.E. the whole windows XP registration thing. If you paid for it you had to register it and if you upgraded your computer then you might have to go through the hassle of getting it reactivated. People who downloaded the bootleg version of XP dont have to deal with that.

I guess if someone didnt pay for thier software then they just plain wouldnt or atleast shouldnt try to deduct it for tax purposes.
And what has this to do with the original poster's question? You have hijacked a thread you have no business in.

This ends it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">