• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Going to court soon, critigue my defence.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thebsharp

What is the name of your state: Ontario

Recently I got a running a red light ticket. What happen was i was driving carefuly as I had a couple of ticket in the past, I din't want anymore. I arrive at the green light going down a slope. I should have slowed down but this slope was unexpected, yellow light hit. I had a split desicion to decide, I choose to try and beat it so I don't end up in the middle of the intersection. Cop pull me over and gave me a $150 ticket

My strat for this trial is to delay as much as possible so the officer won't have a fresh memory of what happened then I will ask him questions on the details of that day. My defence is that, I had to ran the light because of being of afraid I will get hit from behind since its hard to stop how you want going down hill. The officer will likely won't remember if there ever was any car behind me or not. If he say there were no cars but he stumble or get my questions wrong from the questioning before. He has lost credibility.

What do you guys think?

gawm

when ever i was in traffic court all the officers had very detailed information about the stops. I think your only chance will be if the officer doesnt show up. if you are eligible for traffic school i would go

sukharev

I don't think you have any viable defense. The officer would be allowed to refresh his memory by reading the notes.

From your own description, you chose to ignore yellow light, and were not driving carefully at all. If you were you would have slowed down because you could not see the road behind the slope. In addition, you basically state that you were going above a reasonable and proper speed (yellow lights are timed to allow enough time for anyone to stop when going at speed limit, typically 30 mph or below). Hope you understand this and would slow down next time.

You can try to plead guilty with explanation, and get the charge reduced. See if insurance would care which moving violation it was. Another option to explore is probation (if one is available in Ontario).

katiecahnmann

Iffy Defense

I don't know if you went to court or not.... but your defense is iffy. The judge would probably still consider you to be driving wrecklessly. I knew someone who was in a similar situation... ran a red light. He used the defense that he was worried the cars behind him would rearend him had he slammed on his breaks and stopped. The judge said he was still driving wrecklessly. Good Luck!!

thebsharp

katiecahnmann said:
I don't know if you went to court or not.... but your defense is iffy. The judge would probably still consider you to be driving wrecklessly. I knew someone who was in a similar situation... ran a red light. He used the defense that he was worried the cars behind him would rearend him had he slammed on his breaks and stopped. The judge said he was still driving wrecklessly. Good Luck!!
My argument here is that am going down a slope and breaking would be alot tougher. I'll admit to the judge that I did run the red but I feel that it was a better decision then to Jam the break. This happened off a highway ramp so there were no left turn, running a red light on this intersection would not cause any accident because the car comming in from the highway would have to wait till the light turn green for them to go which usually turn after a few second after the main light goes red.

In any case, this would be my last option if it come to that. Reason is that I want to have a non-moving offence, I hope during pre-trial the officer will give me that. I won't accept anything with moving violation because it is usless to me since insurance company don't care about points or what you did, they just care about how many ticket you have within a certain time.

Here is what am hoping for.

1. Officer won't show up.
2. Over 8 month delay law.
3. Lack of disclosure.
4. Officer grant me a non-moving violation
5. Argue my way out (last option)

thebsharp

seniorjudge said:
We deal with US law only.

All the responses to your questions are worthless to you, eh?
I knew it was US law forum but I could'n find any other forum that deal with just canadian laws. I just want to see if my argument holds up thats all.

seniorjudge

thebsharp said:
I knew it was US law forum but I could'n find any other forum that deal with just canadian laws. I just want to see if my argument holds up thats all.

Your honor, I don't think I am guilty of speeding because I sped up to make sure I got through the light.

Yep, you could find a Canadian to buy that.

thebsharp

seniorjudge said:

Your honor, I don't think I am guilty of speeding because I sped up to make sure I got through the light.

Yep, you could find a Canadian to buy that.
huh? When did I say I was guilty of speeding? please read the thread before posting, sheesh... no wonder why you got so many post.

thebsharp

BelizeBreeze said:
O.K. one more time in Canada-speak
U.S. LAW ONLY DUMBASS!!!
what are you blind? did you not read what I said? jeesus no wonder your post count is so high. You are either 1. Have no life and 2. Post crap without reading but am gonna say you are both.

Go get some air. you'll need it. Btw, don't bother reply, you're blocked.

BelizeBreeze

thebsharp said:
U.S. LAW ONLY idiot.

It's not our fault your Idiot cousins are too stupid to have thought of having a site like this.

catco50

racer72 said:
When did Ontario become part of the US? US law only.
You sure are full of yourself aren't you?
Do you have the same reply for everyone?
If people didn't want answers they would not ask the questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">